I have a Compaq 1800XL1 laptop that was given to me. I was told that it took a bad fall. The motherboard would actually smoke when I plugged the power supply in.
I got a used Motherboard off of Ebay. I just installed it. The power light lights up, the battery indicator lights up, and the battery charges. But, nothing else. It will not boot. It won't even post. No error codes, nothing. I don't hear the floppy kick, or the harddrive, the cd-rom does not spin up.
I have tried unhooking everything to see if something is locking it up, still no luck.
My first thought is that the used Motherboard that I just got is no good.
The only part I haven't swapped out is the CPU. I don't have a spare Mobile Pent III. Could a bad CPU even cause these symptoms?
Thanks for any help in advance.