Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SpySheriff? My computer now won't boot

• Please log in to reply

rch427

rch427

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Last night some malware got on my computer (HP Pavilion P3 running WinXPHE). This thing took over my desktop, with a big red screen, warning that my computer was infected and that I should click their button to remove it (yeah--right!). Strangely, I couldn't get the right-click to work on the desktop, to access my desktop properties.

After doing the usual virus scans, etc., I downloaded a registry cleaner. It found about 100 keys that were suspicious. About half of those were deemed dangerous, so I backed up my registry and deleted the bad keys. Then I turned off my system restore, rebooted into safe mode, ran Spybot S&D, HijackThis! and an antivirus scanner called Ewint or something. Everything looked OK.

Anyway, after going to restart, it won't go past the blue Windows screen. I tried restarting it again and again, but it simply won't go past there, in safe mode, last good config or anything else. I made a boot floppy off my other desktop (running Win98SE), but I really can't figure out where to go from the A-prompt. I *really* don't want to do a reformatting!

I'm afraid I'll have to hire a tech to get this thing up and running again, but I can't afford that for another week. To further complicate things, I don't have the installation disk for WinXP (I bought the computer used on eBay), and my other computer can't get on-line. And so, I'm using the computer at the library, hoping that someone can give me a word of advice or encouragement before 5:00 when I have to get off this terminal.

Anyone?

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hi rch427,

This is a malware case, please go click on this link:

http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

And Follow the instrustions.