Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I'M TRYING TO TRANSFER FILES ON TWO COMPUTERS

• Please log in to reply

freddy_15

freddy_15

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I HAVE TWO DESKTOPS, BOTH WITH XP I WANT TO CONNECT THE 2 SO THAT I CAN TRANSFER FILES FROM THE ONE HARD DRIVE © TO THE OTHER. I HAVE ETHERNET CABLES IF NEEDED.

Advertisements

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hi freddy_15!

First off, could you turn off the caps lock please? On the 'net it's considered shouting....

To connect to PC directly together via ethernet, you will need a crossover cable which are readily available at most electronix and computer shops. Simply connect the machines together, assign each an IP in the same subnet, turn on File and Print sharing on the machines and you're good to go. IP example:

Machine A: IP -> 192.168.1.1 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Machine B: IP -> 192.168.1.2 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway and DNS can be left blank. Also for ease, I recommend that each machine has the same Workgroup name: Right click on My Computer -> Properties -> Computer Name. Ensure that the Workgroup name is the same.

Hope this helps!
cya, SD

freddy_15

freddy_15

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry about the caps lock, i know but i was not the one who personaly typed it in. but now that i have changed both workgroup to the same one, i can't log in cause it changed my domain. luckily i have this third computer that has internet access so i can get some help. but when i change the domain to work group i needed to restart my computer, now i can't log into windows from that computer. any helps please.

thanks soccerdad for last time.

freddy_15

freddy_15

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok, I'm back in action and i'm ready to get my computers going again, i fixed all off the prevoius problems now i have a new one. But i think it is very simple to get around. Welll back to the original topic of connecting the two computers. i've changed the ip address and the mask to what i want now, i try to map network drive, like i think your suposed to. i enter "\\192.168.1.1\c$" and then it asks me to log in to that ip address, but it has a guest as a username and i don't have a username on the other computer, and i won't let me change the other part. how do i get around that or learn the guest password.