Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reformatting into Windows 2000 questions

• Please log in to reply

mattlanta

mattlanta

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I've recently been infected by many serious spyware and some minor viruses and it takes very long for my computer to load. (I was registering on my computer for MSN and it took about 5 minutes to completely type something in) I'm currently at a friend's computer right now so I won't have to get so frustrated with my computer.

I'm reformatting into a Windows 2000 when my "broken" computer was operating on a Windows XP.
But a friend recently told me that XP is too hard for my computer. My computer has 13 GB HD, about 120+ MB RAM (I'll check and make it positive when I get on my stupid computer later), and a 400MHz processor.

I was thinking of going to Windows 98 but 2000 seemed the better choice. What's your opinion?

And can someone teach me reformat my computer? (I'm new to this kind of stuff)

Thanks

-Matt

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I run W2KPro on a 450 Mhz PIII without any problem. You need a bootable W2K install cd with a license key. Set your bios to boot from cd first. Bios is generally access by pressing the delete key during boot up. Then put the W2K cd in the drive, reboot. Format and install W2K. Then install SP4. You will need to have SP4 installed before you connect that computer to the internet. You can download SP4 from M$. DO NOT try to put that computer on line and download it. I will guarantee you will get a virus/trojan/worm infection before you can type in a url.

mattlanta

mattlanta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the effort, austin_o. But I'm at a lower level to understand what you're saying and what you mean with all these steps you're coaching me. Do you havea printable version and can you go over it step by step again?

Note: I am VERY new at this stuff. So please teach it like you're teaching a 8 year old.

-Matt

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I think you will find answers to all of your questions here:

http://www.microsoft...00/default.mspx

http://www.microsoft...ng/default.mspx