Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win98 BOOTSect.DOS File Corrupt

• Please log in to reply

gauravit_1

gauravit_1

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello All,

I in my system had win98 and then I installed Mandrake Linux that generated BootSect.dos for Multi Boot Purpose.

Now I deleted the File and I dont have a Bootable CD for 98.
I installed 2000 and it boots and detects win98 and i had backed up the files.

But can I repair my Booting problem some how. I want to again Boot from Win98 I dont mind if my Win2k or Lilo goes of.

Win 98 is most important for me. Can anyone advice me on that ?

Thanks in Advance

Gaurav

Advertisements

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Gaurauit_1

For your Windows 98 to come back, I'm sorry, but you will probably have to format and reinstall Windows 98. Once you have installed another "newer" version of Microsoft OS, unless on a seperate partition, and shows up in the boot menu with the other OSs you cannot go back unless you format and reinstall. You can check out this link http://guide.vsnl.ne...s/kushal/win2k/

From reading your log, Windows 2000 will read the Windows 98 files in a backup, but you will not be able to restore the files if you are now running 2000.

If I were you, and you are not having any problems with booting into Mandrake or 2000, I would leave the system alone. Both OSs are giving you better features that Windows 98 can, such as NTFS partitions, file and folder security, yadda, yadda.

I am suprised that you are having these issues, I have installed Windows 2000 and Mandrake myself onto my laptop, let LILO configure the boot menu and never had issues like this.

Hope some of this helps

Justnoww

Justnoww

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
here are a lot of wins98 cds that are bootable. You just need to set up you bios to boot to cd rom first. This site might be helpful.....http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VAoo...cd/index e.html

Justnoww

Justnoww

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I got that web address wrong, I need to get it in english. I'll get back to you