Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows media player 9

• Please log in to reply

schmoey

schmoey

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello~

i'm not sure if this would go under internet&browsers, but i'll give this a shot...

i have windows media player 9 installed on my computer, and i can't seem to play videos that are on web pages (i'm using IE6)... the WMP screen is just black, and at the bottom it reads "Ready"... if i try to press play, the message flashes to "Opening media..." but almost instantly it reverts back to "Ready"

i have all the "Play ________" checked in Tools>>Internet Options>>Advanced.. it's still not working.

can anyone help me with this problem? thank you very much.. :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Willl WMP play the same format if you download it? It's entirely possible that it isn't a supported format or that you don't have the right codecs for it. Also you havae licensed material that you need to acquire the license for.

schmoey

schmoey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi, thanks for the reply Tyger =)

yep, it plays all formats fine if they're actually downloaded..

i tried re-installing it many times.. even different versions... it seems WMP4 and 7 can view the videos (they're streamed videos, by the way)... but the video portion is very slow.

i also downloaded the package of codecs for WMP9 from the microsoft site..

nothing worked.. i'm not entirely sure what you mean about the licensing part

schmoey

schmoey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i'm pretty sure this had something to do with something i did recently..

going back in time, i accidently deleted ntvdm.exe and wowexec.exe (yeah, reaaaaaaally stupid of me >.<) ... so i tried replacing them and rebooted the computer.. but came face-to-face with a blue screen saying that ntvdm.exe was corrupt... so i went online for help, and found that i should use the windows 2000 CD and repair the files... so i did.. and pressed "repair everything" (or something like that).. another stupid move made by me i think >.<..

lots of stuff has been messed up recently after doing that (such as windows installer popping up when right-clicking files o.O.. and old javascript and VB files).. i was able to get rid of a lot of the problems but this one's just difficult

this is what it looks like:
Posted Image

and when i press it it flashes to this for a split second:
Posted Image

schmoey

schmoey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
o.. nvm.. the problem ended up working out after i uninstalled and reinstalled my java.. :tazz: