Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply

chibi-inuyasha-girl

chibi-inuyasha-girl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've got XP. An HP computer. Meaning I have the built in System Restore feature if my system goes kaflooey, right?

Wrong.

A longer time ago, I accidently deleted an important file that allowed the system to run. So we discovered the "System Restore" feature. We ran it and came to this message:

"NTLDR is compressed.
Press ctrl + alt + del to restart"

So we had a guy come out and reinstall windows for us. It worked for 2 months... until I broke Windows again! :tazz: The same guy came and fixed it again. Everything is happy now.

I have a question. Can I safely uncompress all my folders without having a major breakdown? Or will this only lead to more problems for me? I'm afraid to uncompress the WINDOWS folder and the SYSTEM32 ones. Even some folders I know what they contain. I don't want to have to start my computer from scratch again. It's NOT fun.

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Did you use the built-in Windows Compression to compress them in the first place? I don't recommend using compression at all.

chibi-inuyasha-girl

chibi-inuyasha-girl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Did you use the built-in Windows Compression to compress them in the first place? I don't recommend using compression at all.

View Post

I went to My Computer and right clicked it to go to Properties. Once there, I read a ways down and saw the "compress contents to save disk space" and checked the box.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I wouldn't recommend doing that since it can reduce system performance and make it more difficult to recover data.