Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Precision Pro 2 Joystick gone wonky

• Please log in to reply

Webb

Webb

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm lost. WinXP Pro/SP2 with a MS Sidewinder Precision Pro 2 USB joystick, which suddenly stopped working.

I went to add hardware which tells me to check my USB manager. Uninstalled all USB devices, rebooted, and let them reinstall. Nothing.

Perhaps it's a hardware failure and I'll check it out by plugging the stick into another computer. I think Windows detected that the stick is one day past warranty and decided to tell it to stop working.

Seriously, though, it's really annoying and Id appreciate any help you can offer.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. So, did the joystick work when you tried it on the other computer? If it didn't, I would replace it.

Webb

Webb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It did not work when I plugged it into the other computer. Then I began to think it could be a software problem because I just installed an external USB hard drive on both computers and the drivers might be conflicting.

I took the stick over to a friend's house, plugged it in and it worked fine. I wrote down the driver information in case I had to attempt a manual reinstall but when I got it back to my place it worked fine (on one computer so far - haven't had time to test it on the other one yet).

I have no idea how but it seems to work now.

[Edit - I tested in the other computer and it works fine. Still clueless what I did to fix it.]

Edited by Webb, 19 August 2005 - 11:52 AM.