Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

About Shareaza

• Please log in to reply

Lindyloo

Lindyloo

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hello there,
Probably in the wrong place (really sorry if I am)

I've downloaded Shareaza instead of Limewire (was told this was spyware bundled.... <_< obviously not a good thing I thought.) To get the best out of Shareaza I need to configure my firewall. On the help page I was advised to lower firewall to medium > programs > add > open shareaza.exe >click on blue question mark and then click allow. (I did this up until blue question mark cos there wasn't one so couldn't carry on) Another way of confiiguring firewall is to go to firewall cllick advanced and allow uncommon protocols at high security, It said this "This should allow Shareaza to work while keeping your computer stealthed except or course for the ports that Shareaza is using.....this at least stealths ports such as 25 & 80 which can be common attack points."
Is it safe to do it this way?? I'm really sorry but I haven't a clue when it comes to ports and stuff. They kept going on about TCP and UDP but I aint gotta clue. I have looked on the help pages and even posted something on the forums but no one has helped me :D would really appreciate any help.

Thanks, Lindy x :D

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Hi Lindyloo. I have never installed Shareza, but I would just follow the wizard and let it walk you through the process. Once you get the hang of Shareza, you can go back and play with the settings. It sounds as if you should have clicked, yes, but one of the other mods may have other advice. Hope that helps. <_<

Lindyloo

Lindyloo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Thanks for that,

To tell you the truth I haven't got a clue what I'm doing <_< I have uninstalled Shareaza and I may install it again soon, (waiting for my Brother to install win xp for me 1st) It seems that my Brother got all the know how about computers and I got absolutely zilch........lol........(well I do learn something sometimes)

Thanks again, Lindyloo x