Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router issues

• Please log in to reply

norrland

norrland

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello,
To start off i'd like to appologise for my bad english/spelling. My OS (win xp pro sp2) is in swedish and im not sure if i translate the errors and settings correct.

My laptop computer cant connect to the internet. It seems like it cant get an IP-adress from the router. When i type "ipconfig" in cmd i get:

DNS: [blank]
IP-adress: 0.0.0.0
Subnet mask: 0.0.0.0
standard gateway: [blank]

when i type "ipconfig /renew" i get an error telling me that "the RPC-server is not available"

running the network setup guide in windows doesnt change anything =/

all the other computers in the house have no problems

any ideas?
Thankfull to all replies

Advertisements

simplejohn

simplejohn

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey norrland

Try to set your network settings.
Open then network wizard and try to set ti for all computers
in your network.

Good Luck

Edited by Keith, 12 September 2005 - 04:28 PM.

norrland

norrland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi and thanks for your reply, i didnt really get what u wanted me to do though...i have tried to run the network wizard several times and it doesnt help =/

EDIT:
I uninstalled sp2 and i managed to connect through the network wizard in windows...that is the only way i can get it to work though...i still cant renew the ip-adress in cmd for example. :tazz:

is it possible to "guide" windows to my DHCP server? (i have one of these D-link firewall routers)

all thoughts and ideas welcome

Edited by norrland, 14 August 2005 - 06:36 PM.