Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ccApp prevents shut-down

• Please log in to reply

Evans

Evans

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Every time I work on my PC for a while (e.g. more that 15 minutes, I don't know exactly who much and why) when I try to shut it down a get a "ccApp.exe -closing program" or something like that and then it disappears and my computer stays as it was but Norton Internet security 2005 closes. The same thing happens even if I press "end now" at that window. ccApp is somekind of Symantec shared program.... What shoud I do? Plz help

Note that if I start my PC and shut it down right away, it shuts down properly.

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Every time I work on my PC for a while (e.g. more that 15 minutes, I don't know exactly who much and why) when I try to shut it down a get a "ccApp.exe -closing program" or something like that and then it disappears and my computer stays as it was but Norton Internet security 2005 closes. The same thing happens even if I press "end now" at that window. ccApp is somekind of Symantec shared program.... What shoud I do? Plz help

Note that if I start my PC and shut it down right away, it shuts down properly.

View Post

Hi Evans,
Welcome to Geeks To Go.

I did some research in to ccApp.exe, this is what i got:

ccapp - ccapp.exe - Process Information
Process File: ccapp or ccapp.exe
Process Name: Symantec Common Client CC App

Description:
ccapp.exe is a process belonging to Norton AntiVirus 2003. It is responsible for the auto-protect and email checking facilities, both of which will not function correctly if this service is stopped. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Just wondering, have you tryed to uninstall it and then reinstall it.

Evans

Evans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
No I haven't tried to un-install and re-install. I tried to use help from symantec.com but nothing really helped. I will download the 2006 beta and try it out. Is that reccomended? Because beta versions are really buggy usually.. I am thinking that if the beta doesn't fix my problems, I will re-install IS 2005. I would like to hear your opinion on that. Thank you for your support

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
I personally dont use beta software. Used to but dont any more.

But is saying that, it is entirely up to you.

Evans

Evans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Besides re-installing is there any other thing I can do? Erlier today I tried to shut down and IS closed without End Now window and the PC shat down after 30 mins. So I though is not that it stops shutting down but it just slows down. Any suggestions?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to download AVG Free antivitus, Microsoft Antispyware (A beta, excellent program. Don't worry) and enable Microsoft firewall which you should have if you have all microsoft updates. After activating all these programs remove your Norton. If all goes well then the problem is ewith the Norton. if not, it is somewhere else. If the problem is with the Norton then just keep it off the computer. I am not a great admirer of the latter.

Evans

Evans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It's the first antivirus I paid for cause everybody said it was good so I didn't want to uninstall it but after all these problems I will try your suggestion. THX :tazz:

Edited by Evans, 14 August 2005 - 07:55 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't want to go into commercial aspects in this forum but my opinion is that Norton software does not stand to it's reputation. My opinion is that AVG is the best of the pack, many updates, ease of use and the extra benefit that it cost you nothing.

Y.A

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Try going into the Options/Preferences area of NAV and disable the option to scan the cd-rom and floppy drive at shutdown..

Murray

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I wouldnt agree with you there and AVG is nothing special you can tell its free, just try reinstalling norton. I actually had your exact same problem, although the way i fixed it was doing a repair install of windows which went ok(doesnt always and invloved getting some driver files from another computer and sticking them on floppy), but i ended up just doing a reformat install the next week because it screwed my wireless card(fault with the card though). If you try everything else to no success i would try the reinstall of windows but back up your data first.

Advertisements

Evans

Evans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Murray S. I have already done that. Now it stops popping that window about ccApp and finally shuts down but after about 10 minutes. I don't thing Norton is the problem now... I also have to mention that I have deleted ctfmon.exe and couldn't repair it when prompted because it was asking for a SP2 CD and I had SP@ download from the web. There was no way to choose the SP's exe. Any suggestions?

Evans

Evans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I don't want to go into commercial aspects in this forum but my opinion is that Norton software does not stand to it's reputation. My opinion is that AVG is the best of the pack, many updates, ease of use and the extra benefit that it cost you nothing.

Y.A

View Post

Yes you are right. Norton is not even close to what it is supposed to be...
I cannot say anything for AVG without first using it.

Edited by Evans, 14 August 2005 - 05:01 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
XP Shutdown Troubleshooter

Murray

Evans

Evans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
# Correspondent Graeme J.W. Smith reported a more obscure cause of slow shutdown: In Win XP Professional, the Group Policy Editor has a security option to clear the pagefile at system shutdown. The same setting also forces the hibernation file to be wiped at shutdown. These processes take long enough that users may think that shutdown has hung. To change the setting, click Start | Run, type GPEDIT.MSC, click OK. Drill down to Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options. In the right pane, find “Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile.” NOTE: Since someone actually has to have set this policy, the problem will be pretty rare, but is worth mentioning. However, Forum participant “roadrunner” reported that the personal security app Privacy Eraser automatically enables “Clear virtual memory pagefile,” and, therefore, may be the cause of a slow shutdown.

The above could be the only possible solution as it is the only one that matches to my problem but when I tyoe gpedit.msc I get a "Failed to initialize" msg. Then I press ok and it says "Snap-in creation failed. The snap-in is not created, it may not be installed properly". I have to mention that both msgs give some kind of code. You want me to copy it?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
ctfmon.exe is part of Office, not Norton. Why did you delete it?

Go OFFLINE, uninstall Norton, reboot, reinstall Norton, reboot and go online. Murray's suggestion of setting Norton not to scan the drives at shut down was a good one- have you tried that?

How do you connect to the internet? Dial up or broadband? You do have XP Pro, not Home, correct?

Johanna