Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blank Blue Screen on startup

• Please log in to reply

chrismgan

chrismgan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi- Nothing happens when I left or right click.

Thanks,

Chris

Advertisements

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
My Goodness, Chris, you DO have a problem if you get NOTHING
when you right click on the blank screen.

Hope you soon get a solution...as you know, there IS a solution. :tazz:

Janie ;)

chrismgan

chrismgan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks- I'm not getting much help. But I'll be patient.

Have a good day,

Chris

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Me again Chris...I did a little research and came up with this little solution.
Maybe it will help? I guess ANYTHING simple is worth a try so try unplugging everything and plugging back in. :tazz:

All is well now, after taking it in to my computer tech., we started it up and the restore desktop screen came up. So after restoring desktop, he changed the background pic that I was using into Bitmap format. I am assuming that unplugging the pc to take it in was the reason why the restore desktop screen came up, because no matter how many times I turned the pc off and on, it would never come up. Thanks for your help.

chrismgan

chrismgan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks, but I already tried that. Same result.

Thanks,

Chris

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Below is what I find to restore desktop items but since you can't right click, this information doesn't work for you. waaaaaaaaaaaaa

Have you tried going to Control Panel and clicking open DISPLAY?
Janie :tazz:

Restore Icons to the Desktop
In Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and Professional, the new Start menu is enabled by default. When the new Start menu is enabled, the My Computer, My Documents, and My Network Places icons are removed from the desktop. To restore these icons, follow these steps:
1. Right-click the desktop and click Properties.
2. Click the Desktop tab.
3. Click Customize desktop.
4. Click the General tab, and then click the icons that you want to place on the desktop.
5. Click OK.

Edited by fflowergirl, 14 August 2005 - 10:22 AM.

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I posted another message above this one.
Gotta go now but will check back later.

If it makes you feel any better, Chris, (probably won't) here is
a similar problem I found to yours...the only solution was to try enabling/disabling the active desktop with tweakei...made NO SENSE to me! :tazz:
Edited to say that is spelled TWEAKUI....a download....

My friend is having a problem with his 2k desktop...

jef says:
basically, my desktop seems to be "shut off"
jef says:
doesn't respond to mouse events
jef says:
i think it may have something to do with active desktop
jef says:
because I've tried activating active desktop and it doesn't work
jef says:
I've tried showing a webpage on my desktop but nothing happens
jef says:
icons are hidden as well
jef says:
nothing happens when i right-click
jef says:
and when I click on the desktop..it doesn't take focus away from the active window
jef says:
it's as though the desktop isn't there

anyone got any ideas???

Edited by fflowergirl, 14 August 2005 - 10:41 AM.

chrismgan

chrismgan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks Janie, But it didn't work. I appreciate your efforts.

Have a good day,

Chris

zenithshaikh

zenithshaikh

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey the issue which you are facing is Screen resolution...When u r logged in to safe mode , please try to decrease the screen area and also changed the color to 256 colors and remove all wall paper and if even this does not help , again log on to safe mode and go to ms config and use selective startup..I am sure that will resolve the issue. :tazz:

zenithshaikh

zenithshaikh

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey the issue which you are facing is Screen resolution...When u r logged in to safe mode , please try to decrease the screen area and also changed the color to 256 colors and remove all wall paper and if even this does not help , again log on to safe mode and go to ms config and use selective startup..I am sure that will resolve the issue.

Advertisements

chrismgan

chrismgan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi- Where do I go to change the screen resolution ? Also how do I do the msconfig ? Thanks
Chris

cem1234

cem1234

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Chris,

I am an IT director for a company in VA. I ran across the exact same problem you did and did a two hour search on the net trying to find an answer. Everyone said display settings or you need to boot into safe mode, spyware/virus issue or "you're going to have to start over"...I hate that as a default answer to everything...

Trust me...for anyone that has this problem, this is NOT a spyware or virus issue...every thing I've read (the others that have this issue) have all said the same thing: "I ran anti-vius programs and spyware programs and I still have the problem...." (I did this too, so I know)

Turns out I chanced up on this site: http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Do a search on that page for this: Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar

It's going to be a link to a .vbs file that you open and run. It will tell you the program is going to need to close the explorer shell and it will not harm your computer. Click ok. It's quick and the program will come back and say "complete or done" (or whatever).

I didn't think it worked (especially since this is a Windows 2000 machine and the VBS script is made for "XP". I rebooted and it turns out EVERYTHING CAME BACK TO NORMAL!!!! Unbelievable. :)

As an FYI - there was also a post that mentioned deleting the "ShellIconCache" file in c:\windows. Windows will recreate the file when you reboot. This seemed to work, but I can't recommend it as I didn't do it this way.

I figured I could at least pass this on and hopefully this will help someone else someday. I'm not a subscriber to this board, but if you would like, you may e-mail me at: cem1234@exis.net. I'd like to know if it was able to help you...

Good luck to all that come upon this thread... :tazz:

- Chuck!

Edited by cem1234, 26 August 2005 - 01:13 PM.

Raju_gunnal

Raju_gunnal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HI All,

I HAVE THE SOLUTION FOR THE BLANK BLUE SCREEN ON STARTUP WITH ONLY MOUSE POINT, I HAVE GOT THE SAME KIND OF PROBLEM..AND I FIXED IT.FIRST YOU NEED TO MAKE OR WRITE A RESCUE ANTI-VIRUS CD FROM ANY ANTIVIRUS LIKE NOD32,SYMENTEC,MACAFEE ETC..,, NOTE:THE RESCUE CD SHOULD BE BOOTABLE ONE.THAN INSERT THE CD IN YOUR SYSTEM
THAN BOOT FROM CD,SELECT COMPUTER SCAN AND MAKE SURE SELECT ALL THE DRIVES....THAN THE RESCUE CD WILL SCAN THE ENTIRE SYSTEM FOR ANY INFILTRATION AND IT DELETES IT,...AFTER SCANN COMPLETES....JUST RESTART YOUR SYSTEM
IT WILL WORK FINE AS USUALL...BEST OF LUCH..ANY QUERY MAIL ME g_raju_21@yahoo.co.in