Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Winfixer Removal [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7]A friend running Windows XP has aquired the Winfixer malware on his computer and the uninstall only removes it until he accesses Internet Explorer, then the popup appears and re-installs it. I've reviewed your forum's solutions and they are too involved for this older gentleman to follow. I found a link to AdwareAlert software which offers a free scan of the system and supposely can remove Winfixer. My question is, is AdwareAlert capable of doing this or is it another malware?

Advertisements

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Please read here about Adware Alert - http://www.spywarewa...nti-spyware.htm.

I would not recommend that you use that product. The page also list a few good programs at the bottom of the page. You can use those programs. Most of those programs are also free for personal use.

In case you are not able to rid of the issue, then please post a Hijack This log in our forum here. You can follow the indtructions on this page - http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thanks for your guidance Tampabelle, looks like I'll have to spend some considerable time on my friend's computer to get rid of winfixer.

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
That is because you will have to learn the ropes of getting rid of it and then get rid of it.

If you follow the instructions at the page I pointed out and post a Hijack This log, then I can help you clean it up, maybe faster

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.