Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME

• Please log in to reply

UKSalford

UKSalford

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

It takes about 7 or 8 minutes to start Windows and about 5 minutes to shut windows down, also, when Windows does finally start up it seems like my hard drive continue running for an additional hour even though no program are running.

Can you help me?

Dave

Advertisements

Ploper

Ploper

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Go to Start---Run
Type "msconfig", go to the "Startup" tab.
Uncheck all the applications that you don't need them to run when Windows is starting up.

NOTE: Be careful, don't unchek unknown applications, it might be dangerous.
This site might be useful for you: http://www.sysinfo.org/
This site can help you to choose what applications you need to run on start.

P.S: Sorry about my bad english.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might have a hard drive on the verge of failure. I'd suggest you open My Computer, right click on C: and choose Properties and run the scandisk utility in the thorough mode. It will take half and hour or so but you will know.

UKSalford

UKSalford

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK I ran MSCONFIG and all the items that are checked are required in order to run my system, but they don't take up that much space as when Windows loads up I still have around 77% free, just don't know why it takes so long to load up and shut down.

I ran the scandisk it took about 1.5 hours, but it when it had finished, it said no errors were detected, so I don't thinks that's it either.

STILL NEED HELP

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

OK I ran MSCONFIG and all the items that are checked are required in order to run my system, but they don't take up that much space as when Windows loads up I still have around 77% free, just don't know why it takes so long to load up and shut down.

I ran the scandisk it took about 1.5 hours, but it when it had finished, it said no errors were detected, so I don't thinks that's it either.

STILL NEED HELP

View Post

You certainly do, scandisk shouldn't take that long unless you have a large hard drive. How big is your drive? You may have something running in the background, spyware/adware using up the CPU time. Overheating can cause the CPU to slow down. Something filling up your memory can cause problems too.

Unfortunately it's hard to know without more information.

UKSalford

UKSalford

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
What kind of information do you need in order to help me out? I have several different spy/adware programs that I run religiously plus I run Norton Antivirus regularly too. So what do you suggest or anyone else for that matter.