Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mp3.exe identified by Norton AV 2005 [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bas1

bas1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Norton 2005 AV has identified mp3.exe as a threat in C:\windows\downloaded program files\mp3.exe, Adware.lop. When I open downloaded program files, there is no file mp3.exe.

I have restored to prior to Norton identifying the threat, scan and the threat is still there.

I have run CCleaner, AdAware SE l.06 (free version), Microsoft antispyware, Spysweeper, spybot S&S, Hijack this and probably a few I forgot all at latest definitions.

I have scanned using the following from their respective webpages and none have identified the mp3.exe threat, McAffee, Panda, Housecall. I also ran Norton AV from their webpage and they say I am infected with mp3.exe.

I have searched my system for mp3.exe and nothing comes up.

I have gone into safe mode, ran a full Norton AV scan as Norton's solution page suggests, and in safe mode norton does not find the threat mp3.exe.

I have spent the better part of two weeks trying to eliminate this threat if indeed it is really there and I am depressed and frustrated.

I called CompUSA for help and they told me I have already done everything they would do.

To insert the floppy boot that came with this computer is not acceptable since I have replaced my internal CD reader only with an internal DVD reader/writer, have deleted multitudes of unused programs, installed external printer, DVD writer, established a network with my laptop and on and on.

I have read all the links on the internet. Is there anything I can do or should I just exclude the next time Norton scans and identifies it?

Since this machine is 3 years old but still very acceptable because I loaded it when I purchased it, I think some of this stuff got in before Microsoft sp1 and sp2. I have alwasy had Norton AV installed and have run weekly scans since new. About two months ago I installed Norton firewall.

Is there a solution and since AdAware seems the best at finding adware LOP would the purchased version be better than the free version? At this point, I am not too happy with Norton. The scan goes from #1 Scan process to #4 Scan Summary and does not allow #2 and #3 repair wizzard, quarantine or delete option. Why?

Oh yes, I forgot, Norton will assist for $70 for a walkthru with no guarantee.

Bev

Edited by bas1, 14 August 2005 - 10:11 AM.

Advertisements

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and reply here with your log.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.