Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overheating With Stock fan ( probly broken ) (LR))

• Please log in to reply

CCMP

CCMP

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi ,

I just put thermal paste ( A5 ) on my cpu there is a couple of days, and it was very difficult, the first time I opened my computer the temp was 85 o C,
( too much paste ) , the second was also the same temp, after that I put less paste and the temperature was 57-60 o C...

Now I was happy the temp looked good, but when I played a flash game the temp ( from idle to flash game ) was goig form 57 to 63, 64, 65, 66 , 67

;)
The stock cpu fan was only going at 2400 rpm, before, when I had no put the thermal paste at 63 degrees my fan was going at 4000 rpm, but now I think it's broken or maybe I forgot to put a wire somewhere...

Because that is not normal...

Now I was wondering if I had to put this wire ( from the power supply to the location ) on the location on the picture

Posted Image

Maybe my fan ( cpu fan ) is not receiving the required power from the PSU ...

I also wanna know if I can raise my CPU temp my self , because, I want it to go at least 4000 rpm ( or I just can just go on the internet with my computer, do nothing else (i e games ) )

I tried very fasdtly SpeedFan software, it was said that 100% was 2400 rpm,
I also went into intel desktop utilities, And in the bios...

Everything looks fine ( I checked in the bios that the cpu control feature work, so when my temp is hight the fan is supposed to augment it's RPM - > but it's not working at all ! )

In intel Desktop Utilities, it seems that it cannot detect my Cpu and its speed That's weird, it may be related to the problem but it's not problem for me )

Here are my Compter specification in case you need them !

Cpu P4 3,2 ghz ( prescott LGA 775 ) With Stock Fan
Memory 512 DDR2 samsung chip
Mother Board Intel boards 915GEV
Videocard Ati Radeon X700 PRO PCI-E
Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS ( with 6.1 spekers )
Keyboard
Mouse
2 rear Exhaust fans
One intake Side Fan
One Neon ( bubble type )
2 PSU fan
One stock fan on Video card
HDD 100 Gigs
Lg Cd-rom
Raidmax scorpio case ( small one ATX-Micro ATX )

Temp ( now )

CPU 56o C 2334 RPM ( CPU )
ZONE 1 45 1339 RPM
ZONE 2 39 1339 RPM

When I play a game It may go up to 65-67 degrees ! or more ( I just tested a Flash game )

I need help but I want also want to know if that is normal ( and dangerous :tazz: )

Thank you for you help

Edited by CCMP, 14 August 2005 - 11:02 AM.

Advertisements

CCMP

CCMP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you

Edited by CCMP, 14 August 2005 - 11:50 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I'm not certain of what the exact cause of your problem or its solution, but I can make a couple of suggestions :

1. Re. the PSU connector on the motherboard - its hard to see exactly what they look like, but the 4 pin square one definately needs to be connected. The other one is probably an auxiliary or optional connector but don't connect it until you know exactly what it is. How many pins does does it have?

2. You are obviously aware of the imoprtance of applying the correct amount of thermal paste etc but did you remove the old paste first when you reapplied it? Did the heatsink come with a thermal pad already on it, and if so, did you remove this or not?

3. A possible way of getting round the RPM problem with the cpu fan, would be to use a fan that draws its power straight from the PSU via a molex connector, rather than the motherboard. You would lose the fan speed monitoring capabilities if you did this, & I don't know what sort of effect that would have. Its possible the system may not let you boot if it thinks the fan isn't turning. If it does work however, it should result in a consistent rpm.

4. The only other thing I can spot which may not be helping the temps, is the size of the case - most micro atx cases are tiny & hence restrict the air flow.

CCMP

CCMP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for your help !
Hmmm , I removed the old thermal pad ( paste ) correctly, and I put the correct ammount of paste, but the problem is that the fan was running correctly before the change of thermal paste ....

So I was wondering what to do ...

I didn't understand the PSU related answer; do I have to connect a molex four pin in the circled spot ?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

I didn't understand the PSU related answer; do I have to connect a molex four pin in the circled spot ?

View Post

In the picture, it looks like there are two connectors - one 4 pin square one (2 rows of 2) & a molex. If this is correct, then connect the square one. I don't know what the molex one is for on your board , so best not to hook it up just yet

CCMP

CCMP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you again,

but is my actual situation dangerous or not, do I have to leave this like that, or I have to do something ?

Do you think buying a new fan could resolve my problem or not ?

Do you thnk a software could could increase max speed ( of the fan )

Thank you

CCMP

CCMP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
For an example I just drawn something in photoshop an the temp went up from 58 o C to 68 degrees celcius

Is this normal or it's overheating ?

and the square four pins connector is connected ....

Edited by CCMP, 15 August 2005 - 02:19 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: CPU FAN SPEED
Date: 15th AUG- 2005

Notes on CPU FAN SPEED CONTROL:
1- When in BIOS settings – CPU is not working hard & should be a low Temp.
2- However CPU FAN Control is not active & Fan is set to a low RPM value
3- This makes the Heat Sink & Fan Cooling less efficient – which results in higher CPU Temp – in the DOS Control environment then in Windows OS – The CPU will be at its hottest Temp when working at 100% - BUT the COOLING will also be more efficient – Resulting in LOWER CPU Temp..
The readings during BIOS setting could be (10°C - 12°C) higher than when CPU is performing at 100% with an efficient Cooling Circuit.

I do not know what Utility you are using but if it is a DOS Utility – The CPU FAN Speed Control may be the same as in BIOS setting...

If you have the CD for your Motherboard – it may contain a Utility that may be better. . .browse your installation CD

If not – go to following Web Site & download Free HOME EDITION of [EVEREST] – Install & run
Bring up Task Manager to monitor CPU Performance & Start EVEREST – Expand [COMPUTER] Folder
& Click on [SENSORS] and monitor CPU TEMP –FAN SPEED. Start a Anti-Virus scan –(This usually runs CPU at 100% for a good length of time)

Now monitor CPU Performance – FAN SPEED & CPU Temp.

At 100% - - CPU Temp may be (40°C - 50°C) Range & Fan Speed should be ~ 3200RPM

NOTE on UTILITY Programs –

You only want to run: - ONLY 1 at a time . - - -The readings are Average Readings – and if more than 1 Utility is active - - - That will mess up the Average Calculations & could possibly show CPU Speed to be 0 RPM – (when actually it is not) – This does not interfere with the Speed Control Circuit – Just the Utility Program

http://www.lavalys.com/

From what I have read -

You could (probably ??) run the CPU FAN off of 12V – but you would have maximum cooling at all times – The bad part of this is (1) More Fan Noise – (2) Shorter Fan Life – (3) Bearings may wear faster- and like SAMM mentions – The Safety Monitor Circuits may be looking at the FAN SPEED CIRCUIT OUTPUT – and be confused over it??? All the readings are “Calculated” readings: (Example RPM is actually a VDC value that results with the “Indicated” Fan Speed – there is no RPM measuring Device –

Just my thoughts
Jack123

CCMP

CCMP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for your help also...

But my problem is when the Temp of the CPu goes High the fan should be increasing it's speed ( normally ), but my CPU fan ( stock ) is not augmenting it's fan speed when the temperature goes high, so as result the temperature of the processor can go up to 70 o C, and I think it's not good for my computer !

But, this problem arrived right after I changed the thermal paste....

But when I changed the thermal paste I was VERY defficult to remove the Heatsink/CPU Fan form the Mother Board ! So maybe I've broken my fan or something....

What do you think ?

NB, the BIOS configuration is configured as CPU Fan Control [enabled]

Thank you for your help :tazz:

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
When you plugged the CPU fan in make sure you connected it to the J1F2 CPU FAN connector. Check that you did not pull any of the wires out of the white end connector.

Also make sure you have the latest BIOS Build 0444, since it fixes an issue with the fan speed control.

Lastly I don't understand why you changed the thermal paste in the first place? Boxed Intel HSF are designed to operate the CPU well within it's proper thermal limits. The thermal compound that comes with the Boxed Intel HSF works fine and there is no reason to change it.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Possible problems:

1- Did you remove the Fan from the Heat Sink Assembly? - If you did remove it - Have you installed it correctly?

2- The Fan should be mounted so that Air is being forced DOWN INTO the Heat Sink - and forced out the side fins & then finally be exhausted out the rear of computer.

3- Too much paste will alter the contact resistance and mess up the speed control circuit.

4- Also if you do not have the Heat Sink Assembly attached correctly and Clipped correctly - This will cause problems

5- Check Fan Connection - It should be in the CPU FAN Port - Verify it is connected pproperly - The connector is keyed but it is not FOOL PROOF -It can be forced wrong - Make sure the GND wire is matched with GND Label on motherboard.

6- Also make sure the pins are not sliding outside of sockets & not making correct contact.

7- Make sure Fan Wires did not get snagged or pinched underneath on the Heat Sink.

8- A new Fan could be installed - generally easy - just be aware of Air Flow & Rotation

I am curious also - what was CPU Temp running before playing with Heat Sink?? Why change Paste??

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 15 August 2005 - 05:39 PM.

CCMP

CCMP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thank you guys !

I printed your replies and I will read them tonigh !

Hmmm, I changed thermal paste because I found that the noise opf my fan was very loud, and also the temperatures were high...

Example Idle my cpu was about 58 degrees celcius, and when playing a game i was going to 63 degrees...!
Also the stock fan was very noisy it was going at 4000 RPM when playing flash game !

Thank you

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
i dont generally work with intel chip but on the ones ive seen there is alittle whole on the processor and im wondering if uve filled it which would obviously limit airflow somewhat, its along shot and i wouldnt like to say thats it but i have seen that on an intel or 2 in my limited experiance with them. hope this helps.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Just wanted to add a couple more things quickly - i've checked out the manual for your motherboard :
The 4 pin molex connector is as I predicted, an optional/additional power connector. You need to use it to provide additional power if you have a PCI Express video card, otherwise its not necessary to connect it.

One other quick thing - I noticed there are 2 fan headers near the cpu. Double check to make sure you have the cpu fan conencted to the header which is on the top edge of the mobo next to the ram slots.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: CPU FAN SPEED
Date: 15th AUG- 2005

If the idle Temp was 58°C and Full performance was 63°C - that is not too bad. Ideally the Idle to Full performance Temp rise should be (2°C - 3°C) – unless you are over clocking then the 5°C may be OK. The idle Temp seems a little high – which may be caused by Dust build up in the Heat Sink Assembly – Or because ambient case air is too high plus insufficient cooling.

Since you mentioned a noisy fan – then perhaps the fan bearings may be worn some and/or dust build up on fan blades and slight clogging of the Heat Sink fins may be causing an imbalance. The cooling circuit appears to be working if it is driving the fan at 4000 RPM. Perhaps the fan was not as tight as it should be.

Cleaning the Fan & Heat Sink Assembly would have been an easier 1st attempt to quiet the fan & lower the idle CPU Temp & checking the torque of fan mounting screws. Or just replacing the fan

Another cause for noise – would be air turbulence around the CPU Assembly. If you just added a fan and had rotation wrong would be a cause of air turbulence. What size is the side intake fan? – Perhaps you should have an intake fan in front – drawing air in. And just have louvers on the side. The side fan may be causing some turbulence. – If it is then sometimes it (MIGHT) be better to disconnect it and use the intake holes as a source of cooler ambient air – not forced air. The 2 exhaust fans in the rear is good – You need to exhaust the heated air faster than the intake – just make sure they both are rotating correctly & not fighting each other.

The PS fans should be ok- They are to take care of PS only – 1 should be on bottom of supply (as intake) and the exhaust fan should be in rear. If you have 2 Hard drives then the addition of another small intake fan in front of bay assembly would be ok- proper rotation.

The video card fan is the normal now for theses cards – It is a good idea to leave the expansion card next to it free/empty for fan to breathe in air for better cooling.

Ideally you want a positive airflow that is drawn in from front bottom of case and flow towards the back along the bottom – and then have exhaust fans in rear upper back of case blowing out. The Power Supply should be exhausting the hottest air & should be located on top rear of case. Generally you want more exhaust than intake. The case should have room to breathe – (Leave room around all the sides) – It is good to have an external fan blowing in the room but not directly into computer – (causing turbulence) – but more in the direction as to aid in the exhausting/dispersing the hot air in rear of PC (but again not directly).

Another item to do is look at BIOS settings – Besides setting for Speed Control – there are some settings that will adjust for cooling starting point and update time that can change Idle Fan speed higher. Usually will get
( 2°C - 3°C) adjustment (??)

Jack123_________________________________________________________

ADDED EDITED COMMENT-8-16-2005
You seem to be leaning toward FAULTY FAN for some reason - perhaps the TACH Feedback wire is either pinched on the HEAT SINK ASSEMBLY or is not connected properly in the CPU FAN Connector OR Connector is Forced on wrong OR maybe connected to [Chassis Fan] or [PS FAn]- Thereby resulting with no increased speed with rise in CPU TEMP.

Edited by Jack123, 16 August 2005 - 09:26 AM.