Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling Windows XP Questions

• Please log in to reply

reinstall xp

reinstall xp

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have some questions about reinstalling Windows XP on my Dell computer (clean install):

1. I have both the Windows XP Home Edition CD that came with the computer, and also a Windows XP Professional Upgrade CD that I purchased. Should I just use the Professional one when re-installing, or should I install the Home Edition, and then Upgrade to Professional after Home Edition is installed?

2. In my Dell Solutions Guide book, it says: "NOTICE: The operating system CD provides options for reinstalling your Windows XP operating system. The options can potentially overwrite files installed by Dell and possibly affect programs installed on your hard drive. Therefore, Dell does not recommend that you reinstall your operating system unless instructed to do so by a Dell technical support representative."

2a. Are those files important? What will happen if I overwrite them? Where are these options at? Shouldn't the Windows XP CD have everything I need to make the computer work correctly?

2b. I don't understand what this means. How will it affect programs installed on my hard drive?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The Upgrade CD will only be able to take over from an existing Operating system so you would need to start with the XP Home CD

Check the installed programmes against those you have software CD's for, you would lose all programmes if you re-install

I would ask Dell to enlarge on " files installed by Dell "

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

First of all, id the XP Home you got from Dell a normal Microsoft cd or is it a Dell Recovery/Restore cd?? I ask because you can't use an upgrade cd on an OEM or Recovery/restore cd...

If XP Home is either of the above, then return the upgrade XP Pro and purchase a full install version..

Also, if the XP Home cd is a retail version, then you can do a clean install with the updrade cd.. It will simply ask for thew qualifying media (XP Home) to verify the use of the upgrade cd!!

Murray

reinstall xp

reinstall xp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The Dell CD Says:
OPERATING SYSTEM
Reinstallation CD
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Here's a picture of it: http://www.djdenham....ages/XP_CDs.gif (the one on the left)

I guess that means it is a retail one and not a recovery/restore one.

It would work for the qualifying media, right?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Nope.. not a Microsoft cd.. It is a Dell OEM and won't qualify for an upgrade..

Murray

reinstall xp

reinstall xp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Will it work if I use the dell one to reinstall home edition, and then do the upgrade to professional after it's reinstalled?

Edited by reinstall xp, 14 August 2005 - 02:57 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No.. The upgrade cd won't recognize the Dell install..

Murray

reinstall xp

reinstall xp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So, are you saying that I can't even use the reinstallation cd to reinstall the home edition, or that i can't upgrade to the professional edition after home edition has been reinstalled? :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You can use the Dell XP Homew re-install to put XP HE back on your system as long as it is your Dell XP Home cd, but you can't use a Win XP Pro upgrade cd to upgrade from there..

If you want XP pro on your system then you will have to purchase a full XP install cd!!

Murray

reinstall xp

reinstall xp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, thanks. I'll try reinstalling it some time this week.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You are welcome and good luck.. :tazz:

Murray

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
By the images it appears that both discs are Dell reinstallation CDs so if you purchased this Pro ugrade from Dell for your specific model then all you should have to do is use the Pro reinstallation CD.

The files that may be overwritten that you were warned about in the dell manual/disc/txt/whatever are probably no more than WinXP system files that will be replaced with the upgraded files.(much like installing SP2...everything is practically replaced).

By your post you seem to be reinstalling only the WinXP OS and not concerned about personal data files you may have...If this is the case then nothing ventured nothing gained...If not then you should back up all personal files before doing the reinstall.

This is just my 2-cents worth..........HTH

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Going from your initial post, I thought you had bought and used the XP Pro upgrade which would have ruled out your having a restore CD.

I'm also puzzled as to why Dell have supplied you with what may be a restore CD which they say may potentially overwrite files installed by Dell.