Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

New Network ( home w/ Router )

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi ,

Yesterday I installed a route D0Link DI 604 and I plugged all the required wires to share an internet connection between Two computer running windows xp.

So I tryed the manual instructions, I assigned The Ip to the two computer, but I got an erro in DHCP so I decided to use Windows sharing connection ( network ) wizzard, and it worked, but I tried to configure my printer and the two computer to share the printer ( on one computer ) and also to share files, I tried to right click my printer and assign share printer...

However it seems that the two computer doesnt detects themself, and also the printer is not detected, maybe I have to configure something to create a network, but I dont know how...

I also have installed on my computer two firewalls (* windows' one and also norton Internet Security 2004 )

Maybe that is the problem, but I'm affraid on configuring the firewalls...

Do I have to be affraid or not...

I also what can I do to resolve my problem

NB I'm using XP on the two computers ( one xp and the other Xp SP2 )

Thank you for your help !

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
hey, you might want to get sp2 on the other one just to be cool but i doubt that does anything. Make sure the printer is installed correctly on the one, then run windows network wizard on both computer (make sure you put the same Workgroup for each computer). THen when you go into my network places "view work group computer" there should be an icon for the other pc. Once that works just engage shareing of the printer. (if all this was stuff you already tried just get back to me)