Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Legality

• Please log in to reply

SuperHumanly

SuperHumanly

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was wondering if it is legal to use a program called NLite on a store bought copy of Windows XP Pro, in order to remove stuff from the installation?

Advertisements

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Yes. I believe it's legal.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
<please delete this reply>

Edited by Tony_1983, 14 August 2005 - 06:35 PM.

SuperHumanly

SuperHumanly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Uhh...what does Zone Labs have to do with this?

I got XP at Best Buy for X-Mas with a serial.
nLite is a free program.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Uhh...what does Zone Labs have to do with this?

I got XP at Best Buy for X-Mas with a serial.
nLite is a free program.

View Post

Sorry, for some reason this changed on me when wsa in one of the zone alarm postings.

Edited by Tony_1983, 14 August 2005 - 06:36 PM.

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
You use what you want....Microsoft doesn't have a hold on you just because you bought their product.

The only infringement on MS or any other software is the use of the software on any other system other than what it was bought for.

SuperHumanly

SuperHumanly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
[delete_me]

Edited by SuperHumanly, 14 August 2005 - 09:02 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You shouldn't need another software to "remove stuff from the installation". XP will remove what it is supposed to, and you can leave the rest alone.

Johanna

Psych

Psych

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

You use what you want....Microsoft doesn't have a hold on you just because you bought their product.

The only infringement on MS or any other software is the use of the software on any other system other than what it was bought for.

View Post

Umm... not strictly true. Although it probably doesn't apply in this case, can someone more technical than me comment on reverse engineering, disassembly, etc? I don't want to say too much and give people the wrong info. What is important however is that there are many more issues than simply using the software on more that 1 PC, and we don't want people getting the wrong idea.

Edited by Psych, 15 August 2005 - 08:23 AM.