Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I really hate to ask this question - how do I know if my drive is IDE or not? I want to know about my old drive - and my new drive. I'm replacing a drive. I asked the sales person if there was anything specific I needed to know before buying a replacement drive and they said this one would work fine. I'd like to know before I open the box though!
Any suggestions?

bamakodaker

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get Everest Home

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Click + next to computer then summary to look at storage

You can also get this from device manager

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Forgive me for not being so specific. I am wondering what tells you on the physical outside of the hard drives whether they are ATI, or SAT or whatever. I believe I have the SCSI figured out. I'd just like to know before trying to install the new HD that I can't use it. I don't believe the store will take it back at that time!
bamakodaker

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi bamakodaker...

What is the make and model of your hard drive and what kind of computer are you going to install it in?

wannabe1

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Google the mfr. name and part number, or go to the mfr. website. Most makers have websites or at least redirect pages like

www.ourname.com

You'll find plenty of info about installation.