Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio PCG-R505TSK modem

• Please log in to reply

kerguelen

kerguelen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a problem with my PCG-R505TSK. Modem (internal Conexant/Ambit v.90) was working in January, now it's not even detected by XP. I took the thing into the southern hemisphere and around the planet in the spring, maybe that did it? :tazz: I'm not sure when it stopped working, or why. I don't remember any gripes from XP Pro, but maybe I just ignored it. Haven't changed OSs, been running XP Pro SP2 for a long time, doing periodic windoze updates.

For grins, I tried going back to the original "system restore" Win2k OS on the Sony CDs that came with the PC. Still no modem, which was strange. Reformatted the HD and installed a clean copy of XP from CD, still nothing. I'm assuming that there's a hardware problem. I can install the newer drivers from Conexant but they do nothing, because the OS doesn't know about the modem hardware. Tried reassiging serial port IRQ, address, and interrupt using the Vaio setup program, that didn't help.

I partially disassembled the laptop and found the Ambit board, but I couldn't pull enough plastic "stuff" off the machine to get full access to the board. My plan is to remove it, put the machine back together and boot it up to see what happens, then put the board back in and try it again. Anyone know where I can get disassembly instructions for this thing? I don't mind digging into hardware, I've designed/built/fixed much more complex gear than this!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

As I mentioned earlier in the other thread, do not attempt to remove the modem unless its pcmcia, which i assume its not.

Its possible, if you have been travelling around connecting it to different phone lines etc, that you have connected it to a PBX phone network or similar at some point. The voltages on these types of systems are higher than normal ones & connecting a standard modem to it without using an adapter, will damage the modem

kerguelen

kerguelen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Understand. Thanks for the help.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
you're welcome. As a work around, you could always use a pcmcia modem instead

spikeinin

spikeinin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When connected it to a PBX phone network or similar at some point. connecting a standard modem to it without using an adapter, will damage the modem, the voltages on these types of systems are higher than normal ones.

:)

Edited by spikeinin, 29 July 2009 - 05:42 AM.