Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Converting

• Please log in to reply

Some random guy

Some random guy

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ahoy
Just wondering,
Is there a way to convert OGM and MKV to AVI or WMV? and what converter would I use to do so?
Also is there a way to open these in Windows movie maker? or a movie maker that will open these filetypes (MKV,OGM)
Thanx

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'm sure there must be a way to convert them. One thing you can do with almost any filetype is convert it to uncompressed rgb.avi format and convert that to whatever you like. It also gives the theoretically best quality conversion possible.

I know that you can get codecs for those formats for WMP but whether they will help with WMM I don't know.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

It appears that a off-shoot of the famous VirtualDub called VirtualDubMOD is able to open MKV (and OGM I think) and you can then convert them to AVI format. I would test them for you quick, but I don't have any media files in mkv or ogm format!

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
Tom

Ahoy
Just wondering,
Is there a way to convert OGM and MKV to AVI or WMV? and what converter would I use to do so?
Also is there a way to open these in Windows movie maker? or a movie maker that will open these filetypes (MKV,OGM)
Thanx

View Post

Some random guy

Some random guy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanx for the replies
I got virtualDubmod but i cant figure out how to use it... :tazz:
Ill keep working at it
Also how would i go about converting it to a uncompressed video? also do you know the names of the codecs that make it work on WMP?
Thanx

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

Virtualdub can be slightly confusing at first, but is worth the time to learn and is a fantastic free tool for video conversion, audio extraction, and many other tasks. I will try to list the rough steps to convert the MKV file to raw AVI.

1) Start up VirtualdubMOD
2) Click "file" -> "open video file" -> browse to your MKV or OGM file
3) Click "video" and make sure that the drop down item "full processing mode" is checked with a little circle next to it
3) click "video" -> "compression" and this will open up the window to select what codec to use to encode the video
4) In that new window, you will select the first option in the left-hand pane "(uncompressed RGB)" to get the video into uncompressed AVI video. You can pick other codecs if wished in this pane as well, e.g. Divx, Xvid
5) Click "OK" in that new window
6) In main program window, click "file" -> "save as" and type the wanted name for the avi file in the new window that opens and voila! Uncompressed RGB avi.

Hope that helps and post if you run into any questions or problems.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanx for the replies
Ill keep working at it
Also how would i go about converting it to a uncompressed video? also do you know the names of the codecs that make it work on WMP?
Thanx

View Post

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

As for your other question of playing the mkv and ogm files. I would recommend looking at the open source media player called "Media Player Classic". It is free, can play DVD's, and play basically every media file under the sun, small and fast. You can download it at:
http://sourceforge.n...ackage_id=84358

As for getting the proper codec for WMP, try this free video file codec analyzer called "Video Inspector". Simply drag the MKV/OGM file onto the program window and it will see what codecs are needed to play it and provide links to download them automatically! You can download it here:
http://www.kcsoftwar...m/index.php?vtb

Cheers,
Tom

Thanx for the replies
Ill keep working at it
Thanx

View Post

Some random guy

Some random guy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hey
Thanks so much for the help. I tried WMP classic but it just wasnt sanzzy enough so I got zoomplayer which works good.
Also the video conversion worked very well untill I realized there was no sound
How do I get sound?
Also the output file is huge! 22GB for a 25 minute movie lol.
Thanx

Some random guy

Some random guy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I fixed the 22GB error.
Just had to use a compressor. Microsoft MPEG-4 V1 does the job :tazz: eventhough I dont think its AVI it meets compatibility needs.
Still having the audio problems though
Thanx