Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Discussion - Brand Name Computers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dude are you sure you can put stuff like that, i am a cadet and im not allowed to tell people about some of the places i have been in my own country. Different military differnt rules.
Im gonna give a vote for tiny computers, one of the few retailers you can buy athlons from xps and now 64s the cheapo computers are just that and good enough for basic use and the 700-800 pound computers some of them can be a half decent deal. And they still as far as i know use decent motherboards from MSI a big factor in why alot of brand computers are such a pain is cheap mobos.

Edited by warriorscot, 18 August 2005 - 05:45 AM.

Advertisements

famosbrown

famosbrown

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Trust me...I did not say anything that I couldn't...the whole state of Indiana including the media knew where we were and when we were coming back before we even knew. I know what I can and cannot say through many briefings and also the section I worked for being deployed :tazz: . What kind of cadet are you? R.O.T.C. Sorry if I am wrong, but those are the only cadets we have in the Army.

Famos

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
ATC im a brit <<< also my avatar, we are kinda strict over here with what we are allowed to talk about. Especially in the RAF even when everyone knows what are in the bases we just arent allowed to tell anyone where we went when we got there or what we saw we just get to say we went to RAF whatever and we saw some nice planes, same goes for a lot of squadies they arent allowed to talk about there deployments.

Just as long as it is fine, some people just forget or want to show off i have had to tell guys in the teritorials off for telling cadets and civies stuff they shouldnt, that was an experience i was only a corporal at the time.

Edited by warriorscot, 18 August 2005 - 08:20 AM.

famosbrown

famosbrown

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I agree...there are former soldiers locked up for just talking about what they did, how things worked, what were on posts or bases, etc. Stating where you have been is nothing...nothing classified about it. As long as you aren't discolsin information that would aide the enemy, discredit the government, present a risk to security, etc., etc., then it is fine. Our military encourage interaction with the media and civilian public, but we are take calsses annually explaining what we can say, what we can't say, and what we should say.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah that a good idea, we dont get much in the way of classes when we get our security check and go on our first "trip" away we get a briefing on never to tell anyone anything apart from where we are. We get discouraged from any media interaction, civilian stuff is alot more limited here, public interaction is alot of the time handled by local cadets, air shows displays open events we get roped in for the lot. In return we get places on the training exercises with the reserve its a sweet deal.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, now I have built most of my systems. very paticular in the quality that goes into one. however dell and the like have gotten much better over the years. once in a great while I have a dell desktop that needs work, either a hard drive or fan.

I would love to have a falcon northwest, alienware, or voodoo system. desktop or laptop. they all make really nice systems. With dells, avoid the first year when the introduce a new line. For example the D600. it had hdd, bluetooth and video issues. now they have the d610 out and its a much better system. better cooling, better hdd g-force protection.... improvements all the way around.

I spend a lot of time surfing, email, and watching movies on my old dell c600 laptop. just wishh it had better resolution. Im spoiled by my 21" monitor at work.

as to quality dell is overall pretty good. I like fujistu laptops as well. If your talking laptops then always get the 3 year warranty.

I'm currently in the market for a new system. only requirements is that it has an amd 64 bit processor. maybe something like a small shuttle system. I game a lot and it would be nice not to lug around my massive system that I have now.

Psych

Psych

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

as to quality dell is overall pretty good.  I like fujistu laptops as well.  If your talking laptops then always get the 3 year warranty. 

View Post

FYI, at least up until about 12 months ago or so, Fujitsu Siemens used to buy Dell laptops for their corporate use, rather than their own!

I'd go Dell for a brandname. They do seem to get more complaints than other brands, but then they have the largest market share, so I suppose there are more of their machines floating around out there. For me, I wouldn't have a hope of building my own machine, so pricewise I'd pick Dell. I've got a Dell desktop, Dell laptop (from work), my Dad has a Dell, my Mom has a Dell, my brother has a Dell, my mother-in-law has a Dell... The biggest problem any of us has had was to do with delivery, but I blame the couriers. No problems with getting support from Dell though!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Building a pc is really easy there isnt any reason why you wouldnt be able to do it.

Psych

Psych

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Building a pc is really easy there isnt any reason why you wouldnt be able to do it.

View Post

You haven't seen the last set of shelves I put up!

To be honest, I'd like to try, if only so I could spread the cost, buying one or two components at a time (or is that a bad idea, due to incompatabilty issues as hardware develops?). Holding me back is gross laziness, both in doing it, and in researching the parts I'd want.

BTW, I'd also like to build a helicopter to save time getting to work, but apparently there's some sort of of worry over "death risks with anything you put your hands on" (according to the missus!). :tazz:

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Famos

Thank you for your service

Highest regards,

EMCguy

Advertisements

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Warrior Scott

And thank you for your service as well. Asuuming of course you werent stationed in the US in 1812. Fairly safe assumption. :tazz:

Best regards,

EMCguy

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
This discussion looks like that it was a success!

So im wondering if you guys are interested in more of these discussions? :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, i would hardly call teaching a bunch of teenagers how to march and shoot and how planes stay in the air proper service but thanks anyway.

Edited by warriorscot, 18 August 2005 - 05:44 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Since it was brought up I would recomend to anyone that has the ability and even if they think they don't to just look into building thier own, Do the research, read the reviews and guids its not as hard as you think.

With building your own you know the machine and every part in it when something does go wrong you don't need the stinking tech support that the brand name guy's offer.

I build all my own machines and name brands just don't compare

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Since it was brought up I would recomend to anyone that has the ability and even if they think they don't to just look into building thier own, Do the research, read the reviews and guids its not as hard as you think.

With building your own you know the machine and every part in it when something does go wrong you don't need the stinking tech support that the brand name guy's offer.

I build all my own machines and name brands just don't compare