Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which browser is better? IE or Firefox?

• Please log in to reply

Moose78

Moose78

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Ok, I here a lot of people discuss browsers, but I have little or no idea what they are talking about most of the time. I hear a lot of good things about FireFox, but have been hesitant to install it, because #1, I'm not sure how, and two, I do not want to lose all of my information like favorites and such.

What are the benefits of Fire Fox as opposed to IE? And is it a smooth transition, and does it make browsing any faster? Any other info would be appreciated as well, thanks :tazz:

Advertisements

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Hello and welcome..

1- Faster browsing

2- Tabbed browsing. (No need for many open windows for different sites.. Everything in one window in tabs ;) )

3- Safer. IE has all kinds security vulnerabilities.. Then again Firefox.. See 5 :happy:

4- HUGE selection of Extensions/themes you can get.

5- Being updated all the time. Usually all the security vulnerabilities found in Firefox is being addressed in about 1-2 weeks with a new update. Then again IE hasn't been updated for long times now..

6- You can download & install it here; http://www.mozilla.org/

- Rawe :)

It also has Bookmarks (as the favorites in IE..), and I *THINK* you can transfer your IE favorites to Firefox when switching the browser.

You can expect many replies for this thread.. :tazz:

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
That sounds great, will it conflict in anyway with my current ISP? And can I still access my favorites for IE with Fire Fox?

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Firefox wins hands down. Everything that RAWE stated was/is true.

To answer your question about using your favorites from IE, when you download, install and setup you can import all bookmarks from IE.

Once you start using Firefox visit the extensions page, and one extension I would suggest is the "all in one sidebar" it is a bookmark manager, download manager, history manager all bundled in one.

Good Luck :tazz:

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Sounds great! When I download Fire Fox, (this is going to sound dumb as [bleep]) but how do I begin using it? I'm assuming there will be a shortcut added to my desktop that I jsut click and connect from there, but I'm not sure

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
What are some cons to firefox?

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Yes Firefox will add an icon to your desktop as well as an icon to your quicklaunch menu.

As far as cons go, well you cant use firefox for active x applications such as microsoft updates, but to solve that just make sure autoupdate is turned on if your using XP. I guess another con is that some websites are IE specific but they are few and far between. Other than that, which to me, those really arent that bad, there arent any cons to firefox.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
On another note, Thunderbird....the email client from mozilla works great also, and has just as many extensions and themes as firefox, just incase you were looking for an alternative to OE. :tazz:

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Just installed it, so far so good! Very smooth transition, thanks for the input!!

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
phybyr0ptyk & Moose78, read this thread... ;)

http://www.geekstogo...d33-t53519.html

- Rawe :tazz:

Advertisements

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
It said something about the plug-in performed an illegal operation?

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Even though I got FireFox! I use Netscape! It's very good and way better that IE! Firefox is quite good but I prefer netscape and your favourites or any other information can be imported from IE!
Regards RockyIV

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

It said something about the plug-in performed an illegal operation?

I too encountered that error when trying to scan my computer after installing the plug-in. Try clearing out your Internet history, cookies and temporary Internet files, restart Firefox, and have another go at WindizUpdate - that should fix up the problem alright.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Rocky.. You can get those updates with Netscape as well.. This is on the site;

This free website allows users of Mozilla Firefox 0.9.3, Netscape 4.0, Mozilla Firebird 0.7, Opera 5, or K-Meleon 0.9 to keep their copy of Windows up-to-date. Newer releases of these browsers are also suitable.

- Rawe :tazz:

!!!

!!!

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I use Opera 8. Is this worse than Firefox in you guys opinion? should I change to firefox?