Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Power cables....

• Please log in to reply

Orionxx

Orionxx

• Pip
  • 9 posts
So I built my first computer, but before I start it up I just wanna make sure of a few things...

With my case(ATX), the power supply has a bunch of cables coming from it(obviously), the large 4 pinned cables are the power supplys right? Well, each cable has two 4-pinned connectors, one in the middle and then one at the end, and a few of them have a smaller 4 pinned connector coming out of that too(still with me?)
Does it matter if I have the first connector hooked up to.. lets say... the CD drive, and the second to say, the harddrive, and the third smaller one to my floppy drive? Or can each cable only connect to one device?

I really hope your still with me, cause the next question gets worse....

Ok well on the front panel on my case I got 4 USB ports, a mic port, headphone port, and firewire port. The USB connectors we're labeled exactly as whats on the motherboard so that was no biggie, but then came the mic and headphone ports =
On the motherboard from what I can tell theres only one place for front panel connectors:

2 4 6 - 10
1 3 5 7 9

and in the manual it labels them as follows:
1 is labeled AUD_MIC (Front panel microphone input signal)
2 is labeled AUD_GND
3 is labeled AUD_MIC_BIAS (microphone power)
4 is labeled AUD_VCC (Filtered +5V used by analog audio circuits)
5 is labeled AUD_FPOUT_R (right channel audio signal to front panel)
6 is labeled AUD_RET_R (right channel audio signal return from front panel)
7 is labeled HP_ON (reserved for future use?)
8 no pin
9 is labeled AUD_FPOUT_L (left channel audio signal to front panel)
10 is labeled AUD_RET_L (left channel audio signal return from front panel)

all fine and dandy, but the connectors from my case are labeled:
(for the mic)
Mic Ground
Mic In
Mic Power
(for the headphones)
HPOUT R
HPOUT -R
HPOUT L
HPOUT -L
Ground

So which goes with which? Im guessing the 3 mic wires go into 1, 2, and 3
but im not sure whether the HPOUT R goes into FPOUT_R or RET_R, and is the grounding wire really suposed to go into "aud_vcc" ?

Thanks for the help, answering either question will help a ton

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Power Cables:
Each cable needs to match up with the exact size molex plug to the one on the drive and it needs to be in the proper orientation. The larger ones can only go in one way but the smaller floppy drive power connectors can be put in backwards and off centered so be careful that they are lined up correctly if you have a floppy drive.

As for multiple connectors, most devices (CD-ROMs) can share a cable with no problems. HDs however should be put on their own isolated cable if possible. If you have enough separate cables, using one per device is ideal but if you have to choose, isolate the HDs and share the Optical Drives.

Mic In = 1 AUD_MIC (Front panel microphone input signal)
Mic Ground = 2 AUD_GND
Mic Power = 3 AUD_MIC_BIAS (microphone power)
4 AUD_VCC (Filtered +5V used by analog audio circuits)
HPOUT R = 5 AUD_FPOUT_R (right channel audio signal to front panel)
HPOUT -R = 6 AUD_RET_R (right channel audio signal return from front panel)
7 HP_ON (reserved for future use?)
8 no pin
HPOUT L = 9 AUD_FPOUT_L (left channel audio signal to front panel)
HPOUT -L = 10 AUD_RET_L (left channel audio signal return from front panel)

There does not appear to be any location for the extra ground. AUD_VCC is not a ground.

Edited by GeneralAres, 15 August 2005 - 05:29 AM.

Orionxx

Orionxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Is it ok to use it without a ground then...?
I know with the front USB connectors, not only did it have the 4 pinned USB cable, but also had a seperate ground wire coming out of it(which would be a second ground wire since the standard 4 connectors for a USB already have a ground wire), so I'm hoping its just an extra they threw in...

but thanks a lot for the help!

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
It should be, these sorts of problems always come up when mixing and matching mainboards and cases. The mainboard front header connection includes what is commonly necessary with these connections. The fact that they don't include an additional ground suggests it is unnecessary. However if you know who made your case we can find out more information about why and what the additional ground was for and if it is really necessary. I've seen case manufacturers include things like this before that were completely unnecessary.