Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broadband through wireless router

• Please log in to reply

piersfoster

piersfoster

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is driving me insane! I live in a shared flat with 3 people each of whom have their laptop connected to our wireless internet connection through XP. I am on Windows 98 and have the wireless card installed, but after playing with the settings for ages I can't work out how to get it to connect. The laptop was previously connected to a dial-up connection elsewhere and still has that connection available. PLEASE can somebody explain how to get this sorted for me??!!

Advertisements

Favs

Favs

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hmm... try looking at the channel your two roomates are on and your channel, xp and 98 might have diffrent default channels. Second see if they are B or G and see if your router is putting out the right signal (most can brodcast B and G). Now because of how you said you messed around with the settings i am sure you already have done all this, so reply if this doent get you anwhere and i will think some more

mihaisofti

mihaisofti

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Have you changed the connection settings within your browser to reflect the fact that you no longer use a dialup connection?

piersfoster

piersfoster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial] How do i look at the channel? Not sure what the channel is. And which of the various connections should i select as default to avoid it trying to use dial up as none of the options are wireless and it seems unable to create such an option. SHould it just be none of them and then the wireless one will connect anyway?