Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB ports and speaker not working!

• Please log in to reply

greengrass1

greengrass1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I have just bought a new (second hand) PC:-

IBM Thinkcentre M50 8187-D1G
P4 2.8GHz processor

I have formatted the hard drive and installed windows xp with sp2, but niether the usb ports or the internal speaker is working.

I know they are not 'broken' beacause when I plug my ADSL modem into the USB port, the lights on the modem come on, but nothing changes on the PC...

I have checked in the BIOS settings, and the (2) front and (6) back USB ports are all enabled. The speaker also beaps when you enter bios, so I know that is working too - but for some reason in XP it doesnt?

If you try to play the sample song in media player, it says there is no audio hardware installed, or it is not responding. (the audio is enabled in BIOS)

Please could someone HELP!!

Thanks

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
I think that with XP - There is a [PLUG & PLAY] setting in BIOS that should be enabled. And I think that MS has just recently sent out updates with Security issues of [PLUG & PLAY] on the INTERNET.

With USB . . .The secret is to Install Driver 1st . . .(without device connected) . . . .then restart PC to LOAD Driver . . . . then connect device so [PLUG & PLAY] will find device. . . .

[PLUG & PLAY] has a DRIVER that it is searching a DEVICE for. . . .
. . . . . NOT. . . .
A DEVICE searching for a DRIVER. . . .

And if you have [PLUG & PLAY] DISABLED - then you never will have any USB DEVICES FOUND...

That is my thoughts on this problem
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 14 August 2005 - 05:55 PM.

bazcor

bazcor

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Usless answer removed!

Edited by bazcor, 16 August 2005 - 09:57 AM.