Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup Problem

• Please log in to reply

crash

crash

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I turn the computer on, goes to desktop but desktop does show up and Explorer.exe shutsdown to the bluescreen.. Don't know whats the problem.. Anyone know?

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log back here with the results.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results. <_<

crash

crash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
the blue screen comes and nothing appears on screen. i tried the safe mode and it does not work

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Have you tried "last known good configuration" from the boot (safemode) menu?

crash

crash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
it wont do any thing in safe mode, what i done for this problem to start was install a netzero disk and I clicked to start to download and about half way through the installation I canceled it . I beleive it erased my files and was downloading the new ones and I canceled it before it could install the new program. I had windows 2000 home addition . Right now it is freezing up when windows trys to start. safe mode will come and has nothing on the screen but safe mode in each corner and wont do nothing.
please help
crash

crash

crash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
this is what comes up on the screen: explorer,exe. has generated errors and will be closedby windows you will need to restart the program an error log is being created when I click OK ble screen appears

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you log on with another administrative account go to the Documents And Settings folder and rename the built in admin folder to Administartor.old or something. Then log back in under the administrator.

crash

crash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The computer locks up, it won't even let me do that... Any other advice?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Tried System File Checker? Click Start -> Run, type SFC /SCANNOW, click OK. Have your XP CD handy.

crash

crash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I can't even get to 'start', it doesn't even go that far.