Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

floppy disk problem

• Please log in to reply

nost

nost

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
everytime i double click on floopy drive it says the floppy inserted in not formatted format now and when i click no it doesnt do anything and when i click yes it says windows could not complete the format does anyone know what i could do to get my floppy drive working i know everybody uses cd-rom drives but a floppy drive is nice to be there instead of not working if any one has any ideas help would be much appreciated thanks nost.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Your symptoms are those of a floppy-drive which has simply died of old age or wear-and-tear and needs replacing with a new one. They are one of the cheapest components to buy and easy to fit -- just check the existing one as you remove it then connect the new one the same way.

nost

nost

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
yes thanks for the help i new it was the floppy drive because id just bought a new ide cable for it i will buy a new one and let you know if it works

r7yea

r7yea

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I use all Sony for my removable storage and I'm a died-in-the-wool floppy user (probably because I have so many from years gone by) Although it is a medium on it's way out I still keep a spare new one because they do wear out. But even with a new one installed I run across quite a few disks that cannot be formated. I have read and experienced that floppy disks have a shelf life and always try a few different disks before I replace the drive itself.
Robert