Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to Reformat my Hard Drive and I'm Lost!

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I need to reinstall Windows XP, but when I put the CD in I get the message that the current version (on the computer) is newer than the version on the CD. I can't afford to buy another XP...so I HAVE to go with the old one.

I need to reformat the Hard Drive now to be able to put the old XP on. What do I do?

The reason I need to do all of this is that the system is starting to show signs of crashing.

PLEASE HELP!

dog

Advertisements

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
try the repair option first, see the topic repair windows xp at the top of the page under the heading Windows XP,2000,2003,nt. It may save you a lot of agro. ;) :tazz:

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
If repair doesn't work (and I don't expect it to if it says the system is newer than your disc) then create a systems disc on a floppy and also copy format.com from windows\system32 to the disc.............Boot the computer with the floppy in and after you get command prompt type "format c:" (without quotes)....That should at least get your drive erased and formatted ready for reinstall.

Just a thought....

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Created a bootable CD with format.com on it. The Computer will not boot from the CD and I do not have floppy drive on that machine.

I have looked at the BIOS and the Drive that has the CD in it is first in line to boot from.

The computer does get to a "Dos like" screen that says at the top.

Caldera DR--DOS 7.03

There is a command prompt at the bottom that is A:\ I tried typing in format c but that says invalid command

Jeez I feel freakin' retarded

dog

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
you can't possibly be on an "A" drive (you said you got an "A" prompt) without a floppy......I've only known "A" and "B" to be assigned to floppies. Even if your only drive was a hard drive you would not be assigned "A or B".

Is your computer Bios new enough to have what is called a Legacy floppy drive?

If it is then maybe you should disable that to see if it's causing a prob.

Another thing to try is maybe load Defaults in Bios...to see if it helps.

I'm sorta lost like you...hehe

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi moondog830...

Go to "Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel and remove Windows XP Service Pack 2...Put your XP cd in the drive (Holding the Shift key down when you do this will prevent autoplay)...reboot. When prompted, press any key to boot from cd.

Make sure you have your product key handy...you'll need it.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 14 August 2005 - 07:11 PM.