Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Surfing with Ubuntu live - any worries?

• Please log in to reply

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
I was going to start surifng more etc using Ubuntu live, but then I started to think. :tazz:

I assume I would be surfing without a software firewall (I do have a router firewall)
I would be surfing with AV appliactions, no spyware blaster etc. surfing el flagrante so to speak.

I realize they couldnt get at my Ubuntu OS, but could the bad guys put stuff on my hardrive to mess up IE, or XP or ??? ;)

Should I worry? Anyone ever had problems along these lines?

Concerned,

EMCguy

Advertisements

Scooped

Scooped

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

I was going to start surifng more etc using Ubuntu live, but then I started to think.  :tazz:

I assume I would be surfing without a software firewall (I do have a router firewall)
I would be surfing with AV appliactions, no spyware blaster etc.  surfing el flagrante so to speak.

I realize they couldnt get at my Ubuntu OS, but could the bad guys put stuff on my hardrive to mess up IE, or XP or ???      :)

Should I worry?  Anyone ever had problems along these lines?

Concerned,

EMCguy

View Post

So I'm assuming you meant you're worried about the security on Ubuntu live.

I've never used it, but I've used knoppix. And if ubuntu is anything like knoppix, it shouldn't have many services running at boot, plus you have a hardware firewall (That means dont worry about iptables).

Now as far as bad guys putting bad stuff on your hard drive, I doubt it, but if you are seriously worried about that you could unmount your hard drive.

I'd put my money on browsing with stock ubuntu live being more secure than browsing with secured XP. ;)

thegeek

thegeek

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have run no secuity with Linux since I started using it, start of the year not a single problem. There are things like ClamAV and stuuff, but the chances of you needing them.... So, I really wouldn't worry about it. There are so few viruses/spyware that affect Linux... Plus, I do most my browsing in w3m, so.. And, for images, Opera. I'd say that is probably the most unused Linux browser too. (I mean engine wise) Anyways, I doubt anybody will read this so I'll stop typing. :-P Happy Linuxing (is that a word), The Geek.

EMCguy

EMCguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Im reading it, and thanks for your advice. I'm really liking my ubuntu, and want to make the switch to a real dedicated linux system, but I'm not really willing to tear into my production systems right now, so I'll keep using the live cd. It would probably be pretty tough for a baddy to be getting at the rest of my computer. But I never thought to look at google or the ubuntu forums.

TIA

EMCguy

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
hi emcguy,
just so you know when you are using the LiveCD of Linux, everything is running off the CD. With Ubuntu unless you are running a fat32 box, ubuntu won't even recognize the HDD. so your all good.

EMCguy

EMCguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Right, thats what I figured, but I read recently about malware that can get on you computer while you are surfing in firefox and actually get at you IE if it isnt patched/updated etc.

Sometimes theres just too much out there to worry about. :tazz:

Best regards,

EMCguy

Baggyboy

Baggyboy

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Right, thats what I figured, but I read recently about malware that can get on you computer while you are surfing in firefox and actually get at you IE if it isnt patched/updated etc.

This is because IE is such an integral part of Windows XP and is closely tied to your Internet Options settings. These settings affect not just IE but pretty much all the data which transfers through your internet connection. So leaving your IE settings at a default level is not a good idea, even if you don't use the browser itself!

The following is a list of tools and utilities that I like to suggest to people. This list is full of great tools and utilities to help keep your system running in tip top shape!
  • Spybot Search & Destroy - Uber powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections. How to use Spybot
  • AdAware - Another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well. How to use Ad-Aware
  • SpywareBlaster - Great prevention tool to keep nasties from installing on your system.
  • SpywareGuard - Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place.
  • IE-SpyAd - puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
  • CleanUP! - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.