Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

what's filling my drive?

• Please log in to reply

kuuan

kuuan

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Just cleaned up my drives, and discovered that my 'C' local drive containing the OS WIN XP SP2 and program files ( and that's about all ) says it has about 10GB 'used space', though exploring the size of all files add up to a total of about 4 GB only. Yes, I had chosen to show hidden files in folder options, and I had run cleaners to clean all temporary files, temp. internet files and cookies.
So what is filling up my disc???

thank's for any replies

Edited by kuuan, 14 August 2005 - 06:56 PM.

Advertisements

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup

Frankly I've never used this feature but I did a search on your delimma and came up with this..............I ran this too and it's not a bad feature for cleaning HD or even finding what's taking the space.

HTH

kuuan

kuuan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
disc cleanup did not help.
more precise:
'C', properties shows 9.99 GB used, 4,49 GB used,
'C' opened in explorer 'select all', 'properties' show
'C' oipened in explorer, folder option: show hidden files, 'select all', properties show 7GB used, ( of which 1,5 GB is in 'pagefile.sys. What's this? )

adgo82

adgo82

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I think that those 5+GB that you are missing are used by windows XP to store its files Do this:
Click Start > Run and type diskmgmt.msc in the Open: line and click OK. The Disk Management snap-in will open. Then you will see the partiton that I am talking about.
Also the pagefile.sys is the virtual memory of yoru computer, pretty much is a space in your HDD that windows uses as RAM therefore the name "virtual memory"
I hope this helps.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Download SpaceMonger from:
http://www.werkema.c...pacemonger.html.
It shows the entire map of ur drive.

If u are unsure of what items to delete, post a screenshot of the SpaceMonger map for ur desired drive, and we will help U to delete items.

kuuan

kuuan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
yardguard, I really DO want to send a screenshot of that SpaceMongermap, but how to?
Please explain!

- because my problem just has become much bigger:

by now in the explorer it says that 18.8 GB are used, though the total GB of the drives contents are still the same as before, 4.5GB resp. 7GB incl. hidden files.

the SpaceMonger map really looks curious, since graphically about two thirds are white and supposedly say that this all is emprty space, but in that empty space it says that it would only be 49,4% or 18,4 GB of the 40 GB HD. Weird, isn't it, as there must be spaces used which the SpaceMonger show as empty.

I guess the the further increase in drive space used must be in connection with me today authoring DVDs with DVDarchitect, whose temp. files I had stored on the C drive. ( since this is the only thing I have been doing today, and those are big files. However I deleted those temp. after writing the DVDs, and they don't show in the SpMomap neither.!

'pagefile.sys' has increased however, now stands at about 1,6 GB
as well as 'hiberfil.sys', which now stand at about 1 GB, and the third biggest lump os made up by dllcache, which is about 0,5 GB big. ( and there are very old files there, older than last new installation of the OS )
but as mentioned:
even including those two big 'sys' folders the SpaceMonger map graphically shows only about 30% used and 70 % free, though telling that half is free only - which conforms what 'properties' od 'C' days in the explorer now, by now the drive being half full/half empty.

Edited by kuuan, 15 August 2005 - 07:25 AM.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
To give us the SpaceMonger Map screenshot, U can attach it in ur next post.

hiberfil.sys is the memory dump used to boot a system from a previously Hibernated mode. So if u don't use Hiberante feature in XP, tell us and we will help u disable the Hiberante feature, which automatically delete this file.

pagefile.sys is at the appropriate value, i.e. (1.5 x ur RAM size).
So u dont nned to change it.

kuuan

kuuan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
thank's for the help, -
I did know that I can attach files, but how to attach the screenshot? - as there is no feature to save a screenshot. or do I have to get another version of the SpaceMonger?
or?? what do I miss?

adgo82

adgo82

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Look in your keyboard right around num lock there is a key that says PRT SC
that means print screen press that key once NOTHING will hapen!!! then open paint and press ctrl + V and you will see the screen shot then save it and voila!

kuuan

kuuan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
THANK YOU - being an autodidact...so happy to learn from somebody who obviously REALLY knows how to mave this machine.
here the shot:
should I post another one showing the used parts only?
however in this one you can see that it shows at least 70% being empty, but says that only 50% are empty!

( here I have a 2 to 3 kb/sec connection - so I am not sure if the attachment will uploaded correctly - now this preview page even doesn't display well, so I can't tell until after posting )

Edited by kuuan, 15 August 2005 - 08:28 AM.

adgo82

adgo82

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
When you are in paint with the screen shot and before saving it go to save as and then instead of saving it as a *bmp try saving it as a *.jpg its a smaller file easier to upload on the internet.

kuuan

kuuan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
OK, the jpeg did upload!

Attached Thumbnails

• full.JPG

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
U SpaceMonger map looks good. Nothing to delete, unless u want to disable Hibernate.
As adgo82 suggested in Post#4,
Go to Disk Managenment, see if u can find any "Unallocated spaces".

kuuan

kuuan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
well yes, it may look good since I try to clean 'C' ( somebody else will use this PC now, I will leave in a few hours - and I try to leave it clean )
but WHY are 18 GB used, though there are files which add up to only 7 GB?
if you look at the free space, though graphically it should be about 70%, it only is 50% in reality and so it says on the map, free only 50,9%!
there are about 11GB used which do NOT show in the SpaceMonger map and I wonder what those 11GB could be, and how to get rid of them!
in the disc management it looks fine, no 'Unallocated spaces'

and this morning it was only 10GB used, now it's already 18 GB used, though I did not add any files!

Edited by kuuan, 15 August 2005 - 09:40 AM.