Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sata drives 'external USB-able'?

• Please log in to reply

kuuan

kuuan

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
well, the title says it all:
Can SATA drives also be used in external casings with USB connections?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I answered your post in the Win98 forum. Please don't dual post!

kuuan

kuuan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
sorry about the dual post, once I realized that my first post had ended up in the wrong forum again posteed it in the correct one, sorry again.

My computer is a PC,
mobo Asus P4G800-V, i865G chipset,
Northwood P4 2,4 GH,
1GB = 2x512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM,
VGA a small 128 MB Radeon,
Sony 48x CD-RW, LG DVD-RW,
1x40GB HD, 1x200 GB HD both Seagate, 1x40 GB HD 2,5inch external Fujitsu, and 1x80 GB 2,5 inch exter. Samsung

I need a lot of HD space as I use my PC for video editing ( Vegas )
both internal drives are IDE, so for additional I want to go to SATA ( long explanation, but here in Bali I can't get a decent one, so I have to get it later outside where I want to use it/ load data etc. and later bring it back here to install it. )
- that's why it should be a SATA which can be used externally with either a USB or firewire connection.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
IDE drives can be used in enclosures. In fact IDE enclosures are common and they support USB2 and Firewire.