Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Movie Maker Error

• Please log in to reply

JuiceBox007

JuiceBox007

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
;) I got Windows Movie Maker 2 a few days ago. I tried using it for the first time and I got an error. Sometimes it works, but then I get the same error like 15 seconds later. I send the Error Report, but I don't know what else to do. When I click the Debug button, nothing happens. I've taken screen shots of both the error and the prepared error report.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If I could get some help, it'd be greatly appreciated. :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Windows Movie Maker and Windows Media Encoder both load the converted files into ram and save them to disk when the project is completed, so it isn't uncommon to run out of memory. This may well be what is happening. If it is you either need more memory or a converter that saves to disk instead of loading into memory.

JuiceBox007

JuiceBox007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
It happens right when I start running WMM. I don't think I'm saving anything. :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

It happens right when I start running WMM. I don't think I'm saving anything. :tazz:

View Post

But if your memory commitment is high you can run out very quickly. Also you can have memory software conflicts. You can check for them in System Information. Your Event Logs can be helpful too.

Edited by Tyger, 14 August 2005 - 08:17 PM.

JuiceBox007

JuiceBox007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I don't run many programs at once because I know it causes lag and such. Is there something i can download that will help me free up my memory?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I don't run many programs at once because I know it causes lag and such. Is there something i can download that will help me free up my memory?

View Post

You can use Task Manager to close any unneeded apps when you're editing. I keep it open all the time during memory intensive programs. Also use it to check your memeory commitment vs. available memory. If you close several programs and you still don't have enough you just need to add more memory.

JuiceBox007

JuiceBox007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Usually I dont run many applications at once. Mostly it's just MSN Messanger that I have running. And I have like...100GB of memory, if not more, left. And my Virtual Memory is set at 1536MB.

Should I just give up on Movie Maker? :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Usually I dont run many applications at once. Mostly it's just MSN Messanger that I have running. And I have like...100GB of memory, if not more, left. And my Virtual Memory is set at 1536MB.

Should I just give up on Movie Maker?  :tazz:

View Post

When I'm talking about memory here, I mean RAM. Maybe you have 100mb of RAM left, but not 100gb. When that 100mb fills up WMM or WMEnc will just freeze. There are other programs which will progressively save the file to disk and if you have enough disk space they won't freeze on you.

JuiceBox007

JuiceBox007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I checked my Task Manager and the total Memory Usage is only about 500KB. Maybe its just the WMM. I'll mess with it a bit and see what happens.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I checked my Task Manager and the total Memory Usage is only about 500KB. Maybe its just the WMM. I'll mess with it a bit and see what happens.

View Post

If you have 500kb you're memory sticks aren't working. That is only about the size of cache memory in most systems. On the other hand if you're using 500mb that is very excessive. Around 150mb is typical for XP.

JuiceBox007

JuiceBox007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well I give up. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. :tazz: