Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stumped

• Please log in to reply

Arq327

Arq327

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, I have read these forums for a while now and have found some good help here, so I thought I would post with my problem. Sorry if this should have gone in PC gaming but I think my issue is hardware related.

First my specs- built this system 8 months ago and never had problems until now.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Gigabyte K8NS-Pro motherboard
eVGA Geforce 6800 GT
1024 MB Rosewill PC-3200 RAM
Maxtor 80 GB 7200 RPM
Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer
Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case
Aspire Chameleon 550W PSU

My problem is that when I run any of my games (UT 2004, JA2, etc.) my computer will randomly freeze up at the same points. Like in UT 2004, it will crash about 25% of the time when I switch to a new map, either when its done loading or about to load. When it crashes, the screen looks exactly the same, no distortion, but I get a loud popping sound out of my speakers. In Jagged Alliance 2 (one of my favorite games of all time) it crashes when i am loading up a new area. Its always when im loading something.

I have run MemTest overnight, got to 28 passes and no errors. Also checked my hard drive with Maxtors test thing at their website. No errors there. My CPU idles at around 37C , and about 42-45 under load. My video card idles at around 58 or 59, and gets to about 70 under load. I am totally stumped here, I have tried completely formatting and reinstalling but it still locks up at those certain loading points. Does anyone have any ideas? Sorry if i missed something, and for the length of the post. Thank you.

(edited, forgot my PSU)

Edited by Arq327, 14 August 2005 - 07:50 PM.

Advertisements

Arq327

Arq327

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Update-

A few hours ago my PC wouldnt boot up anymore. I took out my RAM and yup, one of my 512 sticks went bad. Im going to get a single 1 GB Corsair now. I ran MemTest last night for about 12 hours and got no errors too, thats kind of weird that it didn't detect it. Just thought I would let you all know in case you ever experience something like this.