Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Questions

• Please log in to reply

gilazilla

gilazilla

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I am yearning for an answer after reading a lot of the posts in this networking thread.Do i REALLY need a router to connect around 5 computers through a hub/switch so that they can connect and surf the broadband internet simultaneously?

When i was a really a newbie,I went to install and setup the computer network myself (instead of getting a package ADSL modem from my ISP which cost a lot more and without any built in router), the computer shop tech assistant told me that i at least need a ADSL with a router build in and a hub so that all the computers can go online together. But now after reading certain posts ( i cannot remember), i noticed that i don't really need a router to do the same stuff. Anyone mind clarify me on this?

P.S i also noticed that for a certain huge housing area, they all share the same DNS server address provided by the ISP.Anyway, i am just curious as why the DNS server is the same?By the way , my IP address is dynamic because I check with ipconfig /all and the IP changes all the time.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Favs

Favs

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Here is the thing, routers mask ips. So if you have 5 computers on all the ISP sees is 255.255.255.255 or somehting like that. Meaning your isp cant tell how many computers you have on the internet. But if you paid for the extra connects then a hub should be just fine.

gilazilla

gilazilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Does that mean that another house that also has broadband can easily connected to another house network since there all share the same DNS server? If everything is set to be the same (gateway, DNS server,) except the IP address ,can one easily hacked into the network using the same configuration?

Just curious..

Favs

Favs

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Well if they have a router they have a hardware firewall which makes is alittle harder

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a dns server has nothiing to do with your connection issues....dns just translates ip addresses to what you know as a host name or a url or whatever you're connecting with (such as www.google.com to 62.112.43.5 or whatever)..DHCP is how your computers get their ip addresses (hence your dynamic ip address) to connect multiple computers to the internet...you don't need a router per-say...but you do have to have NAT (Network Address Translation). this is usually taken care of by your router/modem from the isp....but since you just have an adsl modem without a router you can do a couple of things....you can set up one machine directly connected to the modem using internet connection sharing with xp (which basically turns that machine into a router using nat) or you can set up a linux box acting as a router or you can get a router...most routers are relatively cheap now adays

gilazilla

gilazilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks Dsnette for ur explanation. Now i understand. Always wanted to know how to share internet connection using router and other sharing methods. :tazz: