Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Email account got Hacked?

• Please log in to reply

gilazilla

gilazilla

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have a problem with my email hotmail account.A lot of emails went into my junk box and they ALWAYS contain unsafe attachments. The real problem is that some of those email contains my own email address noted as "Sender Address".

Does this means that my hotmail account have been hacked and the hacker used my account to email the virus to my own inbox?

Have i been hacked? I even saw some of the email addresses coming from big global multinational companies and they kept sending me junk mail with viruses.Does that means that their network been hacked also?

P.S i have changed my password a few times but this problem still persists.

Anyone plz help clarify. Thanks in advance. :tazz:

Advertisements

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hiya!

It could be that you signed up for a website online and they gave your information away. OR it could be a spyware infection on your computer.

To see if it is a spyware infection click here

This will tell you some safe programs to download that will remove 70% of all spyware from your computer. If you still have issues after the scans you an post a HiJackThis log in the malware forum.

Best Wishes,

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
It could also be coincidence. For sure, have your pc checked in the Malware forum. But I do know that many of these dang circulating emails can APPEAR to be sent from you. Sounds crazy, I know...but that's how it is. It doesn't necessarily mean you've been hacked.
To be safe....follow jfcap's suggestions.

gilazilla

gilazilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Sp far my computer does not have any pop up problems. Mine only frequent problem last time was with Java virus hiding in the Sun Java Machine. Furthermore, some trojan was also removed. So far , no problem.

One more question, my computer has a habit of overspending its PF memory in the task manager? It gets higher and higher until reaching the limit and my program cannot run anymore when i run my computer for some time (and when using alot of application ONE at a time).

Is this malware? or hardware problems? i am learning form my comp hijack this log.Been reading thorough several of the tutorial. Seem hard to downlaod all the heavy spyware/malware program cause now i am on dialup. have to wait for broadband connection in my area. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You could always just get yourself another email account, i use two one hotmail that i ahev had for a while which is for keeping up with the msn group i am on and basically for registering on websites so it gets all the spam. I have my "good" email account on gmail because i was able to get my name as my email address and i use it for official things because it looks smart, it only goes out ot people i know or websites i trust. I have had a couple of other email accounts that i just let go because of spam from what i can see its the mail provider that lets so much of it in because hotmail and gmail hardly get anything in the way of spam.

gilazilla

gilazilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
warriorscot ,i am doing the same thing as u did. My official and personal email is only use for personal stuff and i don't use it to register stuff. LOL...i have around 8 email account of different providers.

But I do know that many of these dang circulating emails can APPEAR to be sent from you. Sounds crazy, I know...but that's how it is. It doesn't necessarily mean you've been hacked.

View Post

Just wanted to know whether how do they send the circulating email from my own account to me...Just curious...As i mentioned before , i even saw one multinational company's email account sending virus attachment to me.

:tazz:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
They don't actually send it FROM your account to you. Rather, your email address is "spoofed"..That means they send the email from THEIR account, but there is a script or something they use to make it LOOK like it came from you account (or the major company...or wherever)

gilazilla

gilazilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Oic...thanks Kat.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
anytime! :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I knew a group of guys that sent me emails from idoyourmaw.com and fbi.com was kinda funny could never figure out how to do it myself.

Scooped

Scooped

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Nah, you haven't been hacked. Some lamer probally found a tutorial on how to send fake emails, and decided to play a trick on you.

It's very simple, you can do it through telnet, or find a program to do it for you (Although that's kind of pathetic).

thegeek

thegeek

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Or, you can do it simply in Pine. :tazz:

Scooped

Scooped

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Or, you can do it simply in Pine.  :tazz:

View Post

Ohh yeah, huh! Never thought of that.

But I don't think anyone who spoofs emails like this guy claims will know [bleep] about linux :)