Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojans - PSGuard, Smitfraud [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Sheri Ann

Sheri Ann

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi.

This is my first posting on this site (or any site!). I am very sorry to bother you and thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I am visiting my Dad for his birthday and he asked for help with his computer. It was a mess and infected with lots of everything. For starters, the home page was highjacked from about:blank which led to oneclicksearches.com. Anyway, after reading and following your preliminary instructions, I downloaded and ran Clean-Up, Ad-Aware, Spybot (he already had those), CW Shredder, Ewido, Norton WinDoctor, SBC Yahoo Anti-Spy and Anti-Virus Programs (he has their DSL service). I also changed my Dad's browser to Mozillafrom Internet Explorer as per this site's recommendation. I also downloaded but didn't run McAfee's anti-virus trial software because it will only run via Internet Explorer and I was afraid to change the browser back to IE from Mozilla.

My Dad's computer is now workable thanks to the preliminary instructions. None of the above-listed programs indicate any problems EXCEPT for Spybot. Originally it listed the Smitfraud virus, and now it lists the PSGuard virus instead. Also, on the Hijack This log, it lists svphost.exe, which I think is bad. I am not sure if that is related to Smitfraud or PSGuard, or if that is something separate, so that's why I am mentioning it. Also, can "Broad Jump Client Foundation" be safely deleted as well or is it tied into the Yahoo SBC DSL service my Dad got a couple of months ago? I think it is a tracker but I'm not positive. Also, since I switched my Dad to Mozilla, he still gets many tracking cookies which the above software deletes. Is this normal or is there a way to also prevent this?

Lastly - and I apologize for this because I know your time is valuable - I am unable to install Windows Service Pack 2 although I have tried several times. My cousin initially got my Dad set up with Windows, so I need to speak to him about it, but he is out of town now. In the interim, since I am leaving town soon, I was hoping to leave my Dad virus / trojan free. Could you please still help me? I greatly appreciate your time and help!

I rebooted and posted the Hijack This log below. I hope I have done it correctly.

Sheri

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:02:18 PM, on 8/14/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\awhost32.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\ISafe.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Manny S\Desktop\Protection Programs\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Manny S\Desktop\Protection Programs\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Speed Disk\nopdb.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\CAVTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\CAVRID.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\YOP\yop.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\browser\ycommon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spider.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Manny S\Desktop\Protection Programs\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://yahoo.sbc.com/dsl
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1.4\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpybotSnD] "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy - 1.4\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck /autofix /autoclose /waitstart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaAvTray] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YOP] C:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\YOP\yop.exe /autostart
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows TM] SVPHOST.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft NT Update] winexec32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [regmgr32nt] msbin32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [nvsv32.exe] cstr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows Processe Manager] mspn32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [regmgr32nt] msbin32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [Windows Processe Manager] mspn32.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {4EC8E993-32C1-47F5-A07A-5B0574655AD4} (WXcom Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.c...ntr_current.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1123442737445
O16 - DPF: {D18F962A-3722-4B59-B08D-28BB9EB2281E} (PhotosCtrl Class) - http://photos.yahoo....plorer1_9us.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcaf...549/mcfscan.cab
O23 - Service: pcAnywhere Host Service (awhost32) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\awhost32.exe
O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\ISafe.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Documents and Settings\Manny S\Desktop\Protection Programs\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Documents and Settings\Manny S\Desktop\Protection Programs\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Speed Disk\nopdb.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
O23 - Service: YPCService - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\YPCSER~1.EXE

Advertisements

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi Sheri Ann and welcome to the Geeks to Go Forums.

My name is Trevuren and I will be helping you with your log.

1. Go to Geeks to Go
. Click on My Controls at the top right hand corner of the window. (make sure you have signed in first)
. In the left hand column, click "View Topics"
. If you click on the title of your post, you will be taken there

2. Also, while at the My Controls page, check the box to the right of your post and then scroll down.
.Where it says "unsubscribe" click the pull-down menu and select "immediate email notification"

3. *We can definitely help you, but first you need to help us. The first step in this process is to apply Service Pack 1a for Windows XP. Without this update, you're wide open to re-infection, and we're both just wasting our time. DO NOT UPGRADE TO SP2 AT THIS TIME

*Click HEREfor the update.

*Apply the update, reboot, and post a fresh Hijack This log

Regards,

Trevuren

Sheri Ann

Sheri Ann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Trevuren,

Thanks for your speedy reply. I attached my most recent Hijack This Log below. However, when I tried to install Service Pack 1a as you recommended, after a very long time, a box appeared on the screen which said that the product key used to install windows is invalid. What should I do now?

Thanks very much for your time. I have spent hours trying to figure this out myself and have gotten nowhere (except the knowledge to contact you guys)!

Sheri

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:14:27 AM, on 8/15/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\CAVTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\CAVRID.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\YOP\yop.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\browser\ycommon.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\awhost32.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\ISafe.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Manny S\Desktop\Protection Programs\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Manny S\Desktop\Protection Programs\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Speed Disk\nopdb.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Manny S\Desktop\Protection Programs\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://yahoo.sbc.com/dsl
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1.4\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpybotSnD] "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy - 1.4\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck /autofix /autoclose /waitstart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaAvTray] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YOP] C:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\YOP\yop.exe /autostart
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows TM] SVPHOST.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft NT Update] winexec32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [regmgr32nt] msbin32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [nvsv32.exe] cstr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows Processe Manager] mspn32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [regmgr32nt] msbin32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [Windows Processe Manager] mspn32.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {4EC8E993-32C1-47F5-A07A-5B0574655AD4} (WXcom Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.c...ntr_current.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1123442737445
O16 - DPF: {D18F962A-3722-4B59-B08D-28BB9EB2281E} (PhotosCtrl Class) - http://photos.yahoo....plorer1_9us.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcaf...549/mcfscan.cab
O23 - Service: pcAnywhere Host Service (awhost32) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\awhost32.exe
O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\ISafe.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Documents and Settings\Manny S\Desktop\Protection Programs\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Documents and Settings\Manny S\Desktop\Protection Programs\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Speed Disk\nopdb.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
O23 - Service: YPCService - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\YPCSER~1.EXE

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
*Please go http://www.howtotell.com ]here[/URL] (Microsoft website) using Internet Explorer ( not Firefox or any other browser as they won't work)
*Click on "Windows Validation Assistant"
*Click on the "Validate Now" button.
*Be patient while the ActiveX loads, do not click on any links.
*Read the instructions on this page while it's loading. You will be prompted to install - click YES.
*Enter your product key then click "continue"
*When it says "Validation Complete" please click "Continue to return to your previous activity"
*Copy what it says and paste it here

Trevuren

Sheri Ann

Sheri Ann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi. I did as you instructed. As you requested, I copied and pasted below:

"It appears that your Windows Product Key is not valid. Please contact your system administrator or retailer immediately to obtain a valid Product Key.
The benefits of genuine Windows software include greater reliability, faster access to updates, and overall richer experiences. Users of genuine Windows are also eligible to receive special offers as part of the Windows Genuine Advantage program.

You may use the online piracy reporting form if you think you have purchased counterfeit Microsoft software. Please be assured that any personal information you choose to send to the Microsoft Anti-Piracy team will be kept in strict confidence.

Please take one more step to further familiarize yourself with the Certificate of Authenticity and software CD that come with genuine Microsoft Windows operating systems."

What now? Thanks for your help.

Sheri

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
While we understand that you may not have been aware, your copy of Windows is not legitimate. Unfortunately, we are unable to help you any further on this site, as we have a strict policy we adhere to in only helping people who have legitmate copies of Windows. Thank you for understanding

Trevuren

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.