Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help , please [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

lolita101

lolita101

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I know someone sent me a file that had a spy program in it. I've had this done to me before, but I had just simply reformatted my computer. I know they are watching what I do. One of my friends who is knowledgable with computers told me that I could locate the file that it stored itself in, I'm just not sure whre to locate it or where to even begin. Could you help me?

Thank you in advance.

-Stacey

Edited by lolita101, 14 August 2005 - 11:06 PM.

Advertisements

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
Ok stacey this is what i need from you.

I need 3 things from you right off the bat, please follow these instructions as close as you can. Firstly i need a application called hijack this, please click on the link below to get that.

Hijack This

*Important* : HijackThis! needs to be installed in its own folder, as it creates backups that you may need later (create a folder in "My Documents", for example...). This tool can be dangerous when handled improperly, so, PLEASE DON'T FIX ANYTHING WITH IT YET !! and wait for instructions. Run HijackThis!, then click on "Do a system scan and save a logfile". Save the log, then copy/paste it here so we can have a look.

Once you have that application please make a startup list using hijack this, these are the instructions.

Create a Startup List
  • Open HiJackThis
  • Click on the configure button on the bottom right
  • Click on the tab "Misc Tools"
  • Check off the 2 boxes next to the Box that says "Generate StartupList log"
  • Click on the button "Generate StartupList log"
  • Copy and past the StartupList from the notebook onto your post
And finally i need a copy of this as well.

Please RIGHT-CLICK HERE to download Silent Runner's.
  • Save it to the desktop.
  • Run Silent Runner's by doubleclicking the "Silent Runners" icon on your desktop.
  • You will see a text file appear on the desktop - it's not done, let it run (it won't appear to be doing anything!)
  • Once you receive the prompt All Done!, open the text file on the desktop, copy that entire log, and paste it here.
*NOTE* If you receive any warning message about scripts, please choose to allow the script to run.

After all these are done please send a hijack log a stratup list and a silent runners log. :tazz:

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.