Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

troublesome power supply

• Please log in to reply

sabs76

sabs76

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok its my 2nd time building a computer but things have seemed to change on these new mobos, first the specs,
the mobo is an asus P5Ld2, equipped with a pentium 4 3.0 ghz processor HT support, also have a seagate 120 gb HD and a 500 Watt Aspire 24 pin PSU

HOWEVER....

The mobo lights up green and the power supply flickers then does absolutely nothing but the green Led on the mobo remains on, , please tell me its a jumper.. if anyone could help, please do because i have no idea where the problem lies... thanks for your help.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

the power supply flickers

What does this mean??

Are any of your fans spinning?

Edited by makai, 15 August 2005 - 06:22 AM.

sabs76

sabs76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
no thats what i mean theres a spark in the supply when i flip the switch when connected to the soft / off button on the atx case, but no fans are spinning neither is the CPU fan which i already setup on the board.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
DO NOT TURN THIS MACHINE ON AGAIN!!! if there is a physical spark in the psu do not power on the machine untill we do some trouble shooting

sabs76

sabs76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i didnt short circuit my mobo right? Also how do i know if my mobo is functional?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you get your hands on another PSU?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Do you own or have access to an ohmmeter? Please use fast reply! You may need to refresh the window to read messages.

Edited by makai, 15 August 2005 - 12:31 PM.

sabs76

sabs76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I currently have a Asus P5LD2 Mobo, also have a CPU already installed on mobo, 3.0 ghz P4 Chip HT Support, The PSU was a 24 pin Aspire 500 watt. However the mobo lights up green and then turns off when i hit the switch on the PSU but no sounds are audible. Is it the PSU? or the mobo?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
That's what we need to find out. Do you own an ohm meter??

sabs76

sabs76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
no i dont but im going to pick up another psu today, by any chance do you think the cpu wud be affected if the chip is installed on the mobo?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
It could have been affected, but it may NOT be the power supply. It could be a short from the motherboard to the case.

sabs76

sabs76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
when setting up the case the board needs to be grounded with those odd looking screws correct?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
personally.......i would finish this trouble shooting with the mobo outside of the case on a piece of cardboard to make sure it's not grounding on the case

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The screws do attach the motherboard to the case, but sometimes a trace on the motherboard will get grounded if the screw or the case mounting post is too large and pinches one of the board traces.

Edited by makai, 15 August 2005 - 12:46 PM.

sabs76

sabs76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
man dat sucks so my Mobo and cpu are out? or what...