Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

troublesome power supply

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Not necessarily! That's why I asked if you had an ohm meter. Then you could test to see if there was a short from the 12v line to the chassis.

Advertisements

sabs76

sabs76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I put the mobo on a piece of cardboard and plugged the psu into it and the green led lit up and that was about it.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
dsenette... do you know how to jumper a 24 pin PSU. I remember how to jumper a 20 pin, but don't know how to do a 24 pin.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I put the mobo on a piece of cardboard and plugged the psu into it and the green led lit up and that was about it.

If the fans don't spin, then probably the power supply is bad. Hopefully the mb isn't fried.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Its the same as a 20 pin

turn power switch off on PSU and run a wire from 4 to 6

looking at the mobo connector with the clip up ,starting from the top right go 4 and 6

Edited by OneCool, 15 August 2005 - 01:02 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Thanks Onecool!

sabs76

sabs76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok then thats good because i rather it be the psu then the mobo

sabs76

sabs76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
when i get the new psu should i just connect the 24 pin and the 12-volt pin to see if the psu works?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
To test just the PSU by itself, you will need to jumper pins 14 and 15 of the large 24pin connector. You can only leave the power supply on long enough to check if the PSU fan spins. If you leave it on longer, you can damage the power supply.

You can probably use a paperclip as a jumper, and you must absolutely make sure you have it placed on the correct pins!

This is to test the PSU... do not have any of the PSU connectors connected to anything.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
If your motherboard is a 24pin you dont need (or have ) a seperate 4 pin connection

Thats all a 24pin is the 20 and 4pin connection together

Advertisements

sabs76

sabs76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
so i put a paper clip into the 14th and 15th pin holes then turn it on to see if it spins?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yes... You need to be very careful when doing this. Make sure all connectors are not touching any metal parts anywhere! And I cannot reiterate enough that you must not leave the PSU on for any longer than just seeing if the fan spins!

Edited by makai, 15 August 2005 - 01:08 PM.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

To test just the PSU by itself, you will need to jumper pins 14 and 15 of the large 24pin connector.  You can only leave the power supply on long enough to check if the PSU fan spins.  If you leave it on longer, you can damage the power supply.

View Post

How can it hurt the PSU ....theres no strian what so ever on it?

I have left mine on for 12+ hours at a time checking for water leaks in a watercooling setup.
Never hurt any PSU I have used

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This is a common recommendation because there is no load on the psu if nothing is connected to it. Power supplies don't like to be run open ended... especially ATX power supplies.

sabs76

sabs76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
well i tried it and the fans didn't spin so it must be the power supply