Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

troublesome power supply

• Please log in to reply

sabs76

sabs76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
yea i checked pins 14 & 15, also i had to return the PSU to newegg.com, so the rma wont come through till friday im guessing, so i guess i gotta sit and wait, also i exchanged my mobo just in case i short circuited it.. any good places to buy a tool kit for comps?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What kind of toolkit?? You mean like an ohm meter, or like screwdrivers and junk like that. Actually, a multimeter wouldn't be a bad idea no matter what. You can measure resistance, ac/dc voltage, etc... use it on your comp, your car, your home. Buy a Fluke if you can. Don't have to spend too much money, but get something decent.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hey guys,

I always bench test psu's with a volt meter before I install them in any system and I leave them run for sometime but what I have found is if there ain't a load on them the rails don't read correct my guess is like makai said they need some sort of load on them, so I simply plug in some old drives I have laying around and let the psu run for a hour or two and check the rails at different times to make sure they are putting out what they should be.

Whats interesting is if the drive ain't connected the rails read below spec plug the drives in and viola the rails read good and the drives don't have to spin or anything just be pluged in.

Whats more interesting is this is not the case with all psu's some don't need the drives pluged in and read fine.

Rick