Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problems [resolved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

AlexS

AlexS

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I seem to have developed a few problems on my computer (running XP). Originally, I noticed that it tried to drop the line and redial to some unknown number. I have then reset the ISP dial up but have noticed that it stops reaching sites after a short while on the internet. I noticed a couple of files in C: (lol2.exe and kirby.exe) which I did not recognise but which were starting up with the system so I renamed them to prevent from running. I have also installed SP2 and ran spybot and adware which have identified a few things, most of which were tracking cookies. After SP2 was installed, there were warnings about windnsd, winsystem, sres32 and winres32, although I cannot remember these exactly now (trying to get connections?).

Anyhow, it still seems to have problems. I would appreciate you advice if there is something still loitering there; I attach the last hijack this log below.

Thanks,
Alex.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 19:36:45, on 29/11/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winres32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\windnsd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\smsc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\command32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sres32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winsystem.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\smsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Alex\Desktop\hijackthis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.google.co.uk/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.waitrose.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.waitrose.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Waitrose.com Pay as You Go
F1 - win.ini: run= C:\GAMES\DEMOS\C&C\INSTICON.EXE
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows OEM Tools] winres32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows DNS Daemon] windnsd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Services] C:\lol2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Win32 USB2 Driver] smsc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [candy] command32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OEM32 Tools] sres32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows System Manager] winsystem.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DivX Player] DivXPlayer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows OEM Tools] winres32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows DNS Daemon] windnsd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Win32 USB2 Driver] smsc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [candy] command32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [OEM32 Tools] sres32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows System Manager] winsystem.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [DivX Player] DivXPlayer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Windows DNS Daemon] windnsd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows DNS Daemon] windnsd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows OEM Tools] winres32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Win32 USB2 Driver] smsc.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [OEM32 Tools] sres32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows System Manager] winsystem.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DivX Player] DivXPlayer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [Windows DNS Daemon] windnsd.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.waitrose.com

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Hello Alex. Welcome to GTG. <_<

You have a worm, among other things.

You have a number of randomonly named files on your system. We like to start with an online virus and trojan scan. Even though you have antivirus software on your system, it can become corrupted by malware.

Please run a free online virus scan here (tick the "Auto Clean" checkbox):
http://housecall.antivirus.com/

And a free trojan scan here:
http://www.moosoft.com/

Please run adaware again with these settings:

First, in the main window, look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now and download the latest reference files.

Next, we need to configure Ad-aware for a full scan.

-> Click on the Gear icon (second from the left) to access the preferences/settings window

1. In the General window make sure the following are selected:
  • Automatically save log-file
  • Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal
  • Safe Mode (always request confirmation)
2. Click on the Scanning button on the left and select :
  • Scan Within Archives
  • Scan Active Processes
  • Scan Registry
  • Deep Scan Registry
  • Scan my IE favorites for banned URL’s
  • Scan my Hosts file
  • Under Click here to select drives + folders, choose:
  • All of your hard drives
-> Click on the Advanced button on the left and select:
  • Include additional process information
  • Include additional file information
  • Include environment information
  • Include additional object details
-> Click the Tweak button and select:
  • Under the Scanning Engine:
    • Unload recognized processes during scanning
    • Include basic Ad-aware settings in logfile
    • Include additional Ad-aware settings in logfile
  • Under the Cleaning Engine:
    • Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot
-> Click on Proceed to save the settings.

-> Click Start and on the next screen choose Activate in-depth Scan at the bottom of the page and then choose:
  • Use Custom Scanning Options
-> Click Next and Ad-aware will scan your hard drive(s) with the options you have selected.

-> Save the log file when it asks and then click Finish

-> When finished, mark everything for removal and get rid of it. (Right-click the window and choose Select All from the drop down menu and click Next).

Please delete your temporary files by deleting all files and folders that are in those folders (do not delete the temp folder itself) like for example
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\
C:\Temp\
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\
Also delete your Temporary Internet Files, be sure to also select delete all offline content.

Reboot your PC.

If you would please, rescan with HijackThis and post a fresh log in this same topic, and we'll remove what's left.

AlexS

AlexS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi coachwife6,

Thanks for your pointers and advice. Here is how I fared:

I had to use a downloadable antivirus verision (as my internet does not hold for long). During installation it found WORM_SDBOT.NM (I believe in winres32.exe) but said that it could not clean or delete it and that I had to do it in the run mode after installation. Ran antivirus following installation, which said that everything was OK. When checked quarantined files, saw that winres32 is quarantined and listed as infected with WORM_SPYBOT.FD. Tried cleaning or deleting, which didn't work but eventually succeded in deleting the file after a reboot.

Eventually, reinstalled antivirus (since it reported a different worm during installation) which went OK and the subsequent scan did not show up anything.

Trojan cleaner did not find anything at all.

Ad-Aware kept freezing during the scan when reached windnsd.exe. Managed to get it running in safe mode but this did not show up anything (I have had it run before and had a few things removed).

Cleaned all the temp folders -- jusched keeps posting a log into my user temp folder after each start up.

Noticed a few other things:
- the system security check in antivirus highlighed a potential windows threat W97M_GOGA.A -- I have gone for a windows update (KB834707) which I managed to get onto my machine after three attempts but the antivirus still complained (although the windows site said that no more updates were available);
- a file gpb2.exe keeps appearing in c:/ and starts running everytime I get onto the internet. I managed to keep a tab on it by killing the process but suspect that it is still something on my machine. Noticed also that a line with lol2.exe in hijackthis log has now been changed to gpb2.exe. Incedently, thre were files related to lol2.exe and gpb2.exe in the Prefetch folder which I deleted -- lol2 is gone but gpb2 keeps reappearing;
- the internet still stops working after a short while (sites become ureachable).

Please advise where I should go from here; I attach a frewshly generated hijackthis log.

Thanks,
Alex.

Scan saved at 00:44:48, on 01/12/2004

Running processes:
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcCtlCom.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\Tmntsrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\tmproxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\command32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sres32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winsystem.exe
C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tca.exe
C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tcm.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2005\pccguide.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\windnsd.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.google.co.uk/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.waitrose.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.waitrose.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Waitrose.com Pay as You Go
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Services] c:\gpb2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tcactive] C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tca.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tcmonitor] C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tcm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2005\pccguide.exe"
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1101854673312

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Please go offline, close all browsers and any open Windows, making sure that only HijackThis is open. Scan and when it finishes, put an X in the boxes, only next to these following items, then click fix checked.
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Services] c:\gpb2.exe

Please reboot into safe mode (continually tap the F8 key while your system is starting, select Safe Mode from the menu).
Be sure you're able to view hidden files, and remove the following files in bold (if found):
C:\WINDOWS\System32\winres32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\windnsd.exe
c:\gpb2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\command32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\sres32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\winsystem.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DivXPlayer.exe

Reboot your PC.

If you would please, rescan with HijackThis and post a fresh log in this same topic, and let us know how your system's working. <_<

Edited by admin, 01 December 2004 - 11:02 AM.

AlexS

AlexS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your reply -- will do and revert. Just one clarification, should I also delete files which are in your post after the reboot? i.e.:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\command32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\sres32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\winsystem.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DivXPlayer.exe

Thanks,
Alex.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Oops! Pasted that in the wrong place. I've edited my post.

AlexS

AlexS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi again,

Did what you said with hijackthis -- only managed to get rid of sres32 on a second attempt after killing the process which was running. Also, only found windnsd.exe in system32, could not find other files anywhere on the system, but found related to them in Prefetch which I deleted now.

The system seems to be running much better now -- this post is the proof. One peculiar thing happened: I have rerun antivirus, cleaner and ad-aware (in this sequence) all of which haven't found anything on the systemduring their runs. However, half way through working with ad-aware, got a message from the resident part of antivirus who found WORM_SPYBOT.FD in one of the files in _restore directory. I couldn't locate the directory through file manager but got rid of the file through the antivirus anyhow.

Here is the hijackthis log as generated now. Let me know if the system is clean or not.

Thanks,
Alex.

Scan saved at 21:30:48, on 01/12/2004

Running processes:
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcCtlCom.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\Tmntsrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\tmproxy.exe
C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tca.exe
C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tcm.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2005\pccguide.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tcactive] C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tca.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tcmonitor] C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tcm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2005\pccguide.exe"
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1101854673312
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{744720CD-75C5-4288-9A63-B8D59CAEEBC3}: NameServer = 80.189.94.2 80.189.92.2

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts

However, half way through working with ad-aware, got a message from the resident part of antivirus who found WORM_SPYBOT.FD in one of the files in _restore directory

To reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.

(Windows XP)
1. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
SpywareBlaster%20(it's%20free%20for%20personal%20use)%20%5burl=http://www.geekstogo.com/modules.php?modid=5&action=download&id=12" target="_blank">Click Here.

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.
Consumes no system resources.

Download, run, check for updates, download updates, select all, protect against checked. All done. Check for updates every couple of weeks. If you have any errors running the program like a missing file see the link at the bottom of the javacool page.

It's also very important to keep your system up to date to avoid unnecessary security risks. Click Here to make sure that you have the latest patches for Windows.

These next two steps are optional, but will provide the greatest protection.
1. Use ANY browser besides Internet Explorer, almost every exploit is crafted to take advantage of an IE weakness. We usually recommend FireFox Posted Image.
2. Install Sun's Java. It's much more secure than Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine .

It's okay to delete the Hijack This folder if everything is working okay.

After doing all these, your system will be thoroughly protected from future threats. <_<

AlexS

AlexS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks a lot guys!

Already am running spyblaster and Sun java, but will give it a go with Firefox.

Cheers,
Alex. <_<