Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 Windows Update issues

• Please log in to reply

Nocturnal

Nocturnal

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Can anyone help me out here? I have a huge problem with Windows Updates. I fix computers for a living and this is for a client’s PC. The client PC is running Windows 2000 Professional Edition.

I’m having issues with Windows Updates. Prior to getting to this point I removed a lot of spyware including Look2Me. I had to use a L2MFix remover which did take control of some registry keys as well as deleted some registry keys. I don’t know if this is the exact cause of my current issues but I just thought I’d throw this out there.

I’ve searched all of Google’s Groups as well as exhausted all options on Microsoft’s Newsgroups. Whenever I attempt to use Windows Update, it will download all available updates but as soon as it says initializing installation, every single download fails to install. I go straight to my WindowsUpdate.log and find that error # 0x80240020 is the culprit which means something along the lines of there was no INTERACTIVE USER to input data.

I’ve renamed and deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder, re-registered numerous .dlls, almost everything and anything I can think of. The administrator group includes my user name as well as test user names I created in hopes I could get the other user accounts to do the Windows Updates.

Now I’m wondering if anyone here has any extensive knowledge on how Windows Updates works. I’d like to know exactly what it looks for before going ahead with the installation of the downloads.

People are speculating that it is some type of permissions issue. I’ve also had this issue come up with a Windows XP Home installation. To alleviate the WinXP Home problem I just did an overlay of the OS. However, I do not have a Windows 2000 Pro Upgrade CD so I cannot do an overlay at this time.

I’d love for more than anything to solve this issue. Even Microsoft themselves cannot seem to solve this issue. I’ve been talking to them through e-mails and we are still unable to resolve this situation.

I know this is long and drawn out, so here are some cliff notes:

CLIFFS:

Windows 2000 Pro installation
Removed spyware
Unable to do Windows Updates
Receiving error: 0x80240020 which means no interactive user available to input data
Need to resolve said error
Tried numerous things and nothing has worked
I believe it has something to do with the registry permissions and or some other type of Local Policy Settings

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Yes some of the newer malware does alot of registry damaged and changes permissions around. Here is a nice utility to help locate the problem, AccessEnum.