Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP says I need to upgrade dvd decoder

• Please log in to reply

seikoHoG

seikoHoG

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Every time I boot up, I get an XP help and support message that pops up telling me I need to upgrade my dvd decoder. Device manager says I have an NEC DV-5700a. I've searched everywhere, including driverguide.com, but I can't find a driver (driverguide.com has one at http://members.drive...driverid=130163 but it just downloads as a text file and there are a lot of complaints about it)

Do I need to upgrade this decoder?

Also, more importantly, how can I get rid of the annoying pop up that appears everytime I boot up?

Thanks for any help you can give!

-seikoHoG

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Go to start>>run>>and type in msconfig

Go to the start-up tab and uncheck the alert to upgrade if it is there.

seikoHoG

seikoHoG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
coachwife6,

Thanks. I'm sure that will take care of it. Do you know where I can find the driver?? Or do you think mine is ok?

Thanks,
seikoHoG

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Did you try this site?

http://www.nec.com/c...gi?cat=download

seikoHoG

seikoHoG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
actually, yes, i did try that site, but can't find the 5700. it may be obsolete. i'll keep looking. it plays dvds ok, so it's probably fine. thanks for the info, though

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
See if it gives you any more truoble. It may have just been an annoying pop-up reminder that has now been taken care of. It it persists, hollar back and I'll do some more research. :tazz: