Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Systen Restore feature questions

• Please log in to reply

KALI-ALI

KALI-ALI

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I recentlyhad a bad case of spyware/malware and a virus that cannot be cleaned. I ran all the programs to get rid of the spyware and it seemed to work but I am still experiencing some problems. The background on one of the accounts is still black and I cannot get to the appropriate display property window to add one. I only get the options for screensaver and settings. Mcafee says to remove the virus (alemod.e.dll) I need to disable System Restore because the virus is probably in a backup file. By disabling that I will lose all previous restore points. I was wondering if I restored my system to a previous state would I get the appropriate display property window back? What does it actually save and restore? Even if previous files were infected with spyware, couldn't I run spyware removal programs to get rid of it? I have also been having problems like Microsoft updates failed to install, I tried to update a dat file from Mcafee and when I ran the installation it said 'registry could not be read'. Also windows messenger keeps popping up at startup and I have it set not to run at startup or in the background. I tried the command from the tweak post on how to remove messenger for good but it did not work. If I go back to a previous restore point when all theses things worked would that solve my problem? Thanks.

Kali-ali

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The short answer to your question is....probably not.
http://msdn.microsof...stemrestore.asp

Have you been to the malware forum for advice?

Johanna

Cranky

Cranky

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hi KALI-ALI

It wont hurt to do a system restore but it might not help either.
It sounds like you still have a malware problem. I would try here and if it doesnt
help post a hjt log.

Go through all the steps listed in the link below.
If you are still having problems post a hjt log in the malware forum and
someone will help you. :tazz:

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html