Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems after using Cleanup!

• Please log in to reply

dovmob

dovmob

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I used cleanup! and ad-aware and now my Pc had
-no start button on the taskbar
-on internet explorer the top line which usually lists file,edit,etc. is missing as our the usual stop,home,retry icons
-no windows appear on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen

Any help rectifying this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

paul14

paul14

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Dovmob, why don't you just try system restore to before you used cleanup and adaware.

dovmob

dovmob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
And how would I do that? I can't seem to find any of the original windows Xp disks that came with the computer? Basic stuff like MSN messenger won't even work now and I'm not really sure what I have done!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you hav a taskbar, right click it then task manager, click file, new task, type explorer.exe then press enter.

If you do not have a task bar, press ctrl + alt + del keys together, when task manager opens, click file, new task as above

Click start, help and support, restore my computer, pick a date before clean up

System restore takes a while so let it run, it may appear to freeze or do nothing, wait till you see your computer was restored to

dovmob

dovmob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I do have a taskbar, but nothing is happening when I am instructed by Keith as above. Pressing ctrl alt del is also having no effect whatsoever. Is there any other way of accessing the task manager? Or of accessing system restore some other way?I can still get into my computer and access all my hard drive but yeah, there is no response to trying to access the task manager through the the task bar. Cheers for your help so far!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How to Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

paul14

paul14

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
dovmob, sorry i did'ant get back to you sooner i only just got in from work. On my xp home if i press F8 on start up and boot up in safe mode alone, without command prompt it starts to load then gives me the option to click yes and continue the boot up or if i click no it takes me straight to system restore.

paul.

dovmob

dovmob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey although I didn't manage to get into safe mode I still somehow managed to get System REstore working and now everything is back to normal! Wow! Just liek to say thank you very much, Keith and Paul, you guys are officially legends in my book! Cheers guys, I really appreciate it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know the outcome