Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ALCXMNTR

• Please log in to reply

jen147

jen147

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Once when I downloaded a windows update for my RealTeK Audio, ALCXMNTR came with it. I noticed that ALCXMNTR was on my HJT log in the startup (04), so I used a HJT log tutorial found on PC [bleep] site and there used PacMan's Start up list to look it up, it was listed there as "X" - Definitely not required - typically viruses, spyware, adware and "resource hogs". So I had HJT fix it, and never thought anymore about it, but then today I was in "Hidden files and folders" and noticed a folder/file named ALCXMNTR. I didn't know if it would be safe to delete it, didn't want to create a mess that may be unnessasary. So then I just was curious and went to search in the start menu and set the options to look in all folders including hidden, and searched for ALCXMNTR and it showed three:

ALCXMNTR in folder: C:\WINDOWS
Alcxmntr in folder: C:\hp\drivers\audio_realtek
ALCXMNTR in folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0009\DriverFiles

Does this seem like it's needed for the realtek audio or would it be safe to get rid of it? Thanks for any comments!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
alcxmntr.exe
Process Name: Realtek Monitor

Description: alcxmntr.exe is installed alongside hardware drivers for the Realtek AC97 audio device. This program is a non-essential system process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
The file is safe to delete. And it should be.

Realtek AC97 Audio - Event Monitor. Sypware file used surreptitiously monitor one's actions. It is not a sinister one, like remote control programs, but is being used by Realtek to gather data about customers

- Rawe :tazz:

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
more information:

http://startup.iamno...cxmntr.exe.html
http://castlecops.co...cxmntr_exe.html
http://www.tasklist....tr_exe_166.html
http://www.bleepingc...tr.exe-245.html

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Wow, that was fast, You guys Rock! Thanks for the advise. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
ALCXMNTR.EXE - Realtek AC97 Audio - Event Monitor. Sypware file used surreptitiously monitor one's actions. It is not a sinister one, like remote control programs, but is being used by Realtek to gather data about customers

ALCXMNTR.EXE is made by a Third Party but is most likely safe

There should not be a problem if you delete it, the process library says leave it if isn't causing trouble

Bleeping Computer say this

This is an undesirable program.

This file has been identified as a program that is undesirable to have running on your computer. This consists of programs that are misleading, harmful, or undesirable.

If the description states that it is a piece of malware, you should immediately run an antivirus and antispyware program. If that does not help, feel free to ask us for assistance in the forums.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Thanks Keith... I have SBot S&D, Adaware, SpywareBlaster & Guard, MS Beta, NIS, and Ewido... all updated and they've never flagged Alcxmntr, but after I saw that it was marked "X" on PacMan's list, I just didn't want it around. So I think I'm getting rid of it. Thanks again!

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Great work, Keith and Rawe! :tazz: