Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get past welcome screen

• Please log in to reply

Jillyc

Jillyc

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi - I am having real problems with my son's pc, first off please bear with me as I am not at all technically able! We can't log on, we get as far as the welcome screen but when you put in the password next to the person's name it just hangs. I can log on in safe mode. I notice he has "PSGuard" icon on the desktop. I have tried to reboot from the XP disc but I can't change the settings. Any ideas gratefully received :tazz:

Advertisements

trouduc

trouduc

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Hi - I am having real problems with my son's pc, first off please bear with me as I am not at all technically able!  We can't log on, we get as far as the welcome screen but when you put in the password next to the person's name it just hangs.  I can log on in safe mode.  I notice he has "PSGuard" icon on the desktop.  I have tried to reboot from the XP disc but I can't change the settings.  Any ideas gratefully received  :tazz:

View Post

In safe mode, START>RUN>lusrmgr.msc [enter]
(on XP home it might not be available, just go to users in control panel)

then create a new admin user and copy the old profile to the new profile (you may need to login once with the new user)

Right click my computer (or window-break) >properties>advanced>user profiles - settings

then user "copy to" to copy to the new user's profile.

Jillyc

Jillyc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi - many thanks for this but I have real problems, I can get as far as the "start" menu but then any request after that freezes - I've tried both run and accessing the control panel.

trouduc

trouduc

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Try safe mode. Press "F8" about twice a second during post. Post is where all the stuff scrolls up your screen when you just turned on your computer. Sometimes you'll only see a splash screen for a while. A menu will appear with safe mode as an option.

Jillyc

Jillyc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, sorry should have said I was in "safe" mode when I tried this, couldn't get past the start menu as above...

thanks!

trouduc

trouduc

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
You can do this from "Safe mode command prompt only", but I'm not sure the problem is just a profile at this point.

If you login with any other profile in normal or safe mode, does it still hang?

Jillyc

Jillyc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have just tried command prompt only but have got as far as a message saying I can't use this "snapin" on Windows XP, I have to go into the control panel, which I can't get as far as... Any ideas? thanks!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try this http://www.memtest86.com/ one stick at a time

also maybe put your xp cd in the machine and do run > sfc /scannow

Jillyc

Jillyc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks, I will ask someone who knows more about pcs to come and help me with this, beyond my limited skills!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I don't know how anybody missed this, but if you have PS Guard you have malware and need to go to that forum.