Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS problems

• Please log in to reply

dubs3

dubs3

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had a couple or viruses on my PC Backdoor.cachecache and one which has low impact. Well anyway I changed some seetings in the registry hkey software\currentcoversion file and the my system would let me back in It said" you are missing the hal.dll file
Before this happened I could not get into apps and control panel irt stated I was missing regedit and regedit32 I have tried Win XP pro 6 disk restore from microsoft but without luck I also loaded hal.dll from www.dll.com. Can I get into my drive again?
I have fornatted a partition on the same drive and loaded win 2000 and made active to use with a win95 boot disk. I fell I am getting more lost as I try more things.

Thanks
Dubs3

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Follow the steps below:
  • In ur BIOS set CD-ROM has 1st Boot Device.
  • Insert XP Setup CD, to boot from CD.
  • After the intial loading of drivers is over, on the Welcome to Setup Screen with 3 options; Press R key, to "Repair XP installtion using Recovery Console".
  • U will be prompted for Adminstrator account's password. Press Enter if the password was blank.
  • Type the following commands, and press enter after each one:
    • Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
      (where C: is the partition where XP was installed)
    • DEL C:\Boot.ini
    • BootCfg /Rebuild
    • Fixboot
  • Reboot ur PC

If the above method does'nt work, try this:
Use the same steps to get into Recovery Console as suggested previously.
I'll give two more ways to recover from this error from the Recovery Console, use any one of them.
Use Method1 only if u downloaded SP2 and installed it.
Use Method2 if u have installed SP2 from CD and u have the CD; or if u have'nt installed SP2 at all.

Method1:
Type the following comamds:
cd\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
copy hal.dll c:\Windows\System32

Method2:
Type the following comamd:
expand x:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll.
(where x: the drive-leeter of ur CD-ROM drive and c: is the partition where XP was installed)